STEINDAM, RUSSELL A.
STEINDAM, RUSSELL A. (1946–1970). Russell A. Steindam, Medal of Honor recipient, was born on August 27, 1946, to Mr. and Mrs. Albert Steindam in Austin, Texas. He attended high school at Plano and graduated from the University of Texas at Austin. He entered military service in Austin and was assigned to Vietnam in August 1969. First Lieutenant Steindam was a member of Troop B, Third Squadron, Fourth Cavalry, Twenty-fifth Infantry Division, United States Army, in Tay Ninh Province, Republic of Vietnam, in action against the Viet Cong on February 1, 1970. He was leading his platoon on a night ambush operation when they were attacked with intense small-arms and automatic-weapon fire, as well as hand and rocket launched grenades. Steindam ordered retaliatory fire and had the wounded men placed in a shallow bomb crater while he directed the fire on the enemy from his exposed position. A fragmentation grenade was thrown into the site occupied by his command group. Shouting a warning to his fellow soldiers, he unhesitatingly and with complete disregard for his own safety threw himself on the grenade, absorbing the full and fatal force of the explosion as it detonated. By his self-sacrifice he saved the lives of his nearby comrades. The selfless and extraordinary courage of Lieutenant Steindam was far above the call of duty. The ROTC building on the campus of the University of Texas was named in his honor in 1972. He was also twice awarded the Bronze Star. Steindam is buried in Restland Memorial Park, Dallas. His survivors include his parents and his wife, Mary.
Austin American-Statesman, November 12, 1972. Dallas Times Herald, December 17, 1971. Committee on Veterans' Affairs, United States Senate, Medal of Honor Recipients, 1863–1973 (Washington: GPO, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Art Leatherwood, "STEINDAM, RUSSELL A.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fstqp), accessed April 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.