STANTON, GEORGE ELLIOTT
STANTON, GEORGE ELLIOTT (1898–1984). George Elliott Stanton, cattle rancher and entrepreneur in Alvin, Texas, was born on August 7, 1898, in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, to Elliott James (E. J.) and Leah Ann (Tice) Stanton. The family moved to Texas in 1909 and purchased land north of Alvin. Stanton attended local schools in Alvin before he joined his father in buying, selling, and raising cattle—cattle raising became a major part of the family’s business. In 1921 they purchased the John Coward woodyard and renamed it E.J. Stanton and Son. They sold wood and coal and in 1922 expanded to include a feed store with the purchase of four additional lots adjoining the Santa Fe railroad tracks. Stanton married Flora Marie McDonald, on June 11, 1924, in Alvin, Texas. They had six children and were members of the St. John the Baptist Catholic Church.
Beginning in 1926 the family began offering grocery goods in the store, and the July 1, 1927, edition of the Alvin Sun featured the Stantons and their business and promoted their planned expansion of their facility. E. J. Stanton passed away in 1929, and George assumed full operation of the business. The store expanded to include a larger grocery section, and hardware, meat market, and pharmaceutical goods. Stanton continued to increase the products available for sale and had the first shopping center in Alvin. In 1956 the store was renamed Stanton’s Shopping Center, and in 1973 he made the final expansion to include a complete grocery with meat market and produce section, along with restaurant, gift shop, hardware, appliance, and farm supplies sections.
Cattle ranching remained a major part of the family’s business, and in 1942 Stanton increased his cattle operations by purchasing a ranch outside of Johnson City to raise additional registered Hereford cattle. Stanton Hereford Ranch cattle were shown at many steer competition stock shows around Texas and received many awards, including Grand Champion Steer at the 1934 Houston Fat Stock Show and Reserve Champion for both bull and pen of three heifers in the 1954 Texas Hereford Register of Merit Show in Beeville. Stanton served as president of the Blanco County Hereford Breeders Association and is considered a pioneer breeder of Hereford cattle in the Alvin area. He also served as president of the Alvin Chamber of Commerce and was active in the Alvin community. He advocated showing and teaching youth about cattle ranching and worked with the local Alvin Future Farmers of America chapter and the Four-H Club. George E. Stanton passed away on December 7, 1984, from injuries sustained in an auto accident and is buried in the Alvin Confederate Cemetery.
Alvin Sun, July 1, 1927. Alvin Sun-Advertiser, May 12, 2012. The Cattleman, December 1954. Galveston Daily News, March 4, 1934; June 9, 1950. San Antonio Express, November 22, 1964.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Stephanie Tower, "STANTON, GEORGE ELLIOTT ," accessed February 18, 2020, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fstge.
Uploaded on May 16, 2017. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.