SMITH, ANGIE FRANK, JR.
SMITH, ANGIE FRANK, JR. (1915–1994). Angie Frank Smith, Jr., Houston attorney and civic leader, son of Bess Patience (Crutchfield) and Angie Frank Smithqv, was born in Detroit, Texas, on November 3, 1915. He graduated from San Jacinto High School in 1933 and Rice Institute in 1937. In 1940 he graduated from the University of Texas Law School and went to work for Vinson and Elkins in Houston. During World War II he was a naval officer in the Pacific theatre and served as a navigator on the battleship Massachusetts. After the war he returned to Vinson and Elkins, and in 1950 he was made a partner for the firm, which eventually was called Vinson, Elkins, Connally and Smith. Smith, who specialized in natural resources law, was the firm's managing partner from 1972 to 1981. He served on many civic boards, including Methodist Hospital of Houston since 1954, where he was chairman from 1977 until his death. He also served on the boards of the Houston Symphony Society, the San Jacinto Museum of History Association, and the South Texas College of Law and as chairman for Southwestern University, whose library was named in his honor. He was an active member and leader of St. Luke's Methodist Church and received its Distinguished Life Award. He was also a member of the Sons of the Republic of Texas, the Knights of the Order of San Jacinto, and the Philosophical Society of Texas and was a member of the Executive Council and president of the Texas State Historical Association. In 1939 he married Mary Bloomfield Hannah; they had five children. Smith retired from law in 1985. He died at Methodist Hospital in Houston on July 1, 1994.
Houston Chronicle, July 3, 1994. Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Southwestern Collection, October 1994.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Paul Gervais Bell, "SMITH, ANGIE FRANK, JR.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fsmyf), accessed October 13, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.