SCOGGINS, LEWIS GRISSOM
SCOGGINS, LEWIS GRISSOM (1822–1874). Lewis Grissom Scoggins, also written as L. G. Scogin or Scoggin, was born on September 5, 1822, in Conecuh County, Alabama. He was the fifth of six children born to John and Mary Ann Lang Scogin. In 1850 Scoggins lived in Blossom Hill, Louisiana, in Caddo Parish, where he farmed and owned five slaves ranging in age from seventeen to twenty-three. He was a planter with a real estate value of $1,900. His first marriage was to Araminta Hollinsworth on December 25, 1846, in Caddo Parish, Louisiana. In 1854 Araminta died at the age of twenty-four; the reason why is unclear. On October 18, 1855, he married Annie E. Hazelwood in Caddo Parish. The couple had at least one son.
Sometime prior to 1863 Scoggins arrived in Texas and enlisted for service during the Civil War. He joined the Third Battalion Cavalry, Texas State Troops as a major in September 1863. His service records only go to December 5, 1863, and list him as on duty at Beaumont, Texas. The Third Battalion Cavalry Texas State Troops were mustered out of service in early 1864 and were never engaged in combat.
After the war Scoggins and his wife Annie resided in Marlin, Texas, in Falls County. In 1870 the couple owned land in Marlin where Lewis farmed and had a real estate value of $5,000 and personal estate valued at $2,000. Living in their home was a seven-year-old orphan named Allie Gray from Missouri. Scoggins died of apoplexy on August 31, 1874, while traveling on a train to Waco. His remains were sent to Marlin where he was buried. Annie E. Scoggins remarried on September 4, 1887, in Erath, Texas, to R. H. Caudle and passed away in 1925.
Sifakis, Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Texas (New York: Facts on File, 1995).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.James A. Hathcock, "SCOGGINS, LEWIS GRISSOM," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fsc90), accessed April 25, 2015. Uploaded on April 8, 2011. Modified on April 11, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.