SAYRE, CHARLES D.
SAYRE, CHARLES D. (1799?–1856?). Charles D. Sayre, sugar planter, was born about 1799 in New York, where he was a trader until he moved to Texas with his wife, Catherine, in 1831. He ran a store in Brazoria with John L. Sleight and in 1832 was in business in the same town with a man named Nixon. Sayre and Nixon sold out to Brigham, Richeson, and Company (the Brigham was probably Asa Brighamqv). The Sayres subsequently settled on the Willow Glen Plantation, about a mile from Columbia on the Brazos River. In 1832 Sayre bought a half league of land and a plantation from James B. Bailey and built a cotton gin that processed 100 bales in 1835. Sayre was one of about 100 citizens who joined William J. Russell's Brazoria militia in June 1832, during the Anahuac Disturbances. In October Sayre represented the District of Victoria at the Convention of 1832, which called for the separation of Coahuila and Texas, and in 1835 he was a member of the Columbia Committee of Safety and Correspondence. During the Texas Revolution he gave the Revolutionary Army $940 worth of his plantation provisions loaded on the schooner Pennsylvania. After the war he was one of nine men who incorporated the Brazoria Insurance Company, approved by the Republic of Texas Congress in 1837 and capitalized at $200,000. The company was formed to safeguard vessels, buildings, freight, and merchandise from fire or sea damage and planned to contribute 1 percent of its annual profits toward improving the mouth of the Brazos River. In 1845 Sayre was elected a vice president in the Brazoria County Temperance Society and was a member of the county Bible Society. By 1840 he owned almost 6,000 acres of land and twenty-four slaves. He opened a sugar-milling business and by 1852 was among the top twenty sugar producers in Brazoria County; he made 570 hogsheads of sugar between 1852 and 1855. He owned real estate valued at $70,000. Sayre died about 1856, and his wife died in October 1858. The couple apparently had no children of their own, but had an adopted daughter, Lorena White. The Sayres were originally members of the Dutch Reformed Church, but later joined the Presbyterian Church.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Craig H. Roell, "Sayre, Charles D.," accessed October 23, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fsa43.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.