- Get Involved
PHILLIPS, ISHAM B.
PHILLIPS, ISHAM B. (?–1842). Isham B. Phillips, a member of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred, received title on May 9, 1827, to a league of land in an area that ultimately became part of Wharton County. He had arrived in Texas after the 1826 census. The Phillips league extended from a short distance south of the San Bernard River to the east bank of Peach Creek. West Bernard Creek ran through the middle third of the league. Phillips built a house just south of West Bernard Creek. According to some sources he was married to Ann Lewis on April 19, 1819. But when he arrived in Texas, his family included a wife named Nancy, a daughter, and a son. On January 4, 1827, forty-nine men, including Phillips, met at the home of Bartlett Sims on Peach Creek. All present signed an oath of allegiance and support of the Constitution of 1824. William Kincheloe, William Selkirk, and Phillips were appointed by this committee to travel to the governor of Coahuila and Texas with the document and assure him that all signatures were entered without a dissenting voice and that there would have been more signatures except for bad weather and ill health.
On November 11, 1832, Phillips recorded a deed for a labor of land on the east bank of Peach Creek, purchased from William Kincheloe. It was upstream from the tract he already owned, nearer the lower crossing for the township of Peach Creek. He built a second home on this site and there presided as judge of the Peach Creek District box on February 1836, when delegates were chosen for the Convention of 1836. In October 1936 Phillips was appointed postmaster of Peach Creek for Route No. 11, which ran between San Felipe and Matagorda. He resigned from the position on April 7, 1841. Phillips wrote his final will on March 10, 1841, while in ill health; he had it recorded in the new judicial county of Ward (see WARD COUNTY [JUDICIAL]). He died in February 1842 at his home on Peach Creek and left his entire estate to be divided equally between his two children. Besides the league and labor on Peach Creek, he owned one labor on Sewells Creek in Gonzales County.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). James M. Day, comp., Post Office Papers of the Republic of Texas (2 vols., Austin: Texas State Library, 1966–67). Louis Wiltz Kemp, The Signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence (Salado, Texas: Anson Jones, 1944; rpt. 1959). Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., Houston: Armstrong, 1986).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Merle R. Hudgins, "PHILLIPS, ISHAM B.," accessed August 23, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fph07.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.