PFEUFFER, GEORGE (1830–1886). George Pfeuffer, merchant and legislator, son of Georg and Barbara (Brochelle) Pfeuffer, was born in Obernbreit, Bavaria, on October 17, 1830. The family arrived by boat at Galveston, Texas, on November 25, 1845, set out for Indianola, and lost most of their belongings in a shipwreck. Pfeuffer became a clerk in John F. Torrey's store in New Braunfels, where his father settled. He went to Corpus Christi in 1846 and became bookkeeper for merchant Charles Ohler and later secured a position as secretary to Henry L. Kinney. He was elected to the Corpus Christi city council in 1852 and advocated dredging a channel through Corpus Christi Bay. On December 31, 1855, he married Susan Gravis. Moving his family to New Braunfels in 1861, Pfeuffer joined the firm of William Mann and Company of San Antonio. The business lost heavily during the Civil War, and Pfeuffer sold out his interest to organize George Pfeuffer and Brothers, which engaged in sawmill operations, woolen manufacture, and flour milling. Later he owned a sawmill in Northeast Texas and several lumberyards along the International-Great Northern Railroad. In 1877 he was appointed Comal county judge to fill the unexpired term of Theodore Koester, and in 1880 he was elected to the office. About the same time, Governor O. M. Roberts appointed him a director of Texas A&M, and as president of the board of directors in 1884 he led the fight to secure state funds for the college. A senator in the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Texas legislatures (1882–84), Pfeuffer served as chairman of the committee on education. He was noted for his fluency in Spanish and German. He died of apoplexy on September 15, 1886, in Austin.
Lewis E. Daniell, Types of Successful Men in Texas (Austin: Von Boeckmann, 1890).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Lee Williamson, "PFEUFFER, GEORGE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fpf01), accessed July 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.