- Get Involved
NIZA, MARCOS DE
NIZA, MARCOS DE (?–1558?). Marcos de Niza, a controversial Franciscan explorer, may have led the first European expedition to explore purposefully what is today the American Southwest. His report of having seen one of the Seven Cities of Cíbola in 1539 launched the first large-scale Spanish exploration of the interior of North America. Considered a Frenchmen by his contemporaries and apparently born in Nice (hence "de Niza"), Fray Marcos had served in Central America and in Peru before settling in Mexico City in 1537. In the autumn of 1538 Viceroy Antonio de Mendoza entrusted him with investigating rumors of wealth beyond the northern frontiers of New Spain-rumors fueled by the recent return of Álvar Núñez Cabeza de Vaca. To guide Fray Marcos, Mendoza sent Estevanico, a black slave who had been with Cabeza de Vaca. Niza set out in the spring of 1539. Before the year was out he had returned to Mexico City, claiming to have seen a place called Cíbola, believed by modern scholars to have been one of the Zuni villages. Fray Marcos did not, however, claim to have entered Cíbola. Fearing that he might meet the same fate as Estevanico, whom the Cibolanos had killed, he observed the city from a prudent distance and pronounced it "bigger than the city of Mexico."
Largely on the strength of Fray Marcos's favorable report, Viceroy Mendoza launched one of the most significant of Spain's reconnaissances of the interior of North America, that of Francisco Vázquez de Coronado. Niza traveled to Cíbola with Coronado. When the expedition reached the Zuni villages in July 1540, a disappointed Coronado pronounced Fray Marcos a liar. Only temporarily disgraced, Fray Marcos returned to Mexico City where, for a time, he apparently held the highest local office in the Franciscans, that of provincial. According to one source, he died on March 25, 1558, after suffering bad health for over a decade. Since the sixteenth century, scholars have been divided as to whether or not Fray Marcos saw Cíbola on his 1539 journey or even came close to it. Those who have charged him with lying have offered several explanations. He has been accused of turning back in order to avoid meeting the same fate as Estevanico and then of fabricating his report in order to avoid displeasing the viceroy. He has also been accused of conspiring with Mendoza to strengthen the viceroy's case for exploring in the north. Others, more charitably, have suggested that his imagination played tricks on him.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Cleve Hallenbeck, The Journey of Fray Marcos de Niza (Dallas: University Press, 1949; new ed., Dallas: Southern Methodist University Press, 1987). Carroll L. Riley, "Road to Hawikuh: Trade and Trade Routes to Cibola-Zuni during Late Prehistoric and Early Historic Times," Kiva 41 (Winter 1975). Madeleine T. Rodack, ed. and trans., Adolph F. Bandelier's The Discovery of New Mexico by the Franciscan Monk, Friar Marcos de Niza, in 1539 (Tucson: University of Arizona Press, 1981). Carl O. Sauer, "Discovery of New Mexico Reconsidered," New Mexico Historical Review 12 (July 1937).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, David J. Weber, "NIZA, MARCOS DE," accessed September 22, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fni09.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.