MOW-WAY (?–1886). Mow-way, a Comanche headman, was the leader of the Kotsoteka ("Buffalo-eater") band during their last years of dominance in West Texas. His name was thought to have meant Shaking Hand or Hand Shaker, but his son, Ti-so-yo, later claimed that it more accurately meant Push Aside. Apparently a warrior of some renown, Mow-way once killed a grizzly bear with his knife after the animal had attacked a hunting companion in eastern New Mexico. As a memento he wore one of the bear's claws in his scalplock. Though Mow-way signed the Medicine Lodge Treaty in October 1867, during the late 1860s he raided frontier settlements in Texas and in the vicinity of Santa Fe. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan's winter campaign of 1868, particularly Maj. Andrew W. Evans's Canadian River expedition in December, prompted him to surrender to the military authorities at Fort Bascom, New Mexico. Mow-way and several other Comanches were subsequently sent to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, for a brief confinement for past raids before being returned under guard to Fort Sill, Indian Territory, in June 1869. When Mow-way's guards got drunk along the way, the chief continued on to Fort Sill and turned himself in to Col. Benjamin Grierson. The astonished commander promptly turned him over to the new Quaker agent, Lawrie Tatum. Mow-way left Fort Sill and rejoined his band on the Llano Estacado. Though some sources say that he generally favored peace with whites, he did not want to be under government control and thought that living conditions on the reservations were worse than outside of them.
After the Salt Valley Massacre in May 1871 Mow-way and his Kotsotekas became more closely associated with the hostile Quahadi band, led by Parra-o-coom (Bull Bear) and Quanah Parker.qqv He was among the Indian leaders pursued without success by Col. Ranald S. Mackenzie in the fall of 1871. Mow-way attended the council in 1872 with Capt. Henry Alvord at Fort Cobb. While he was away at these meetings Mackenzie's troops attacked his village near the North Fork of the Red River on September 29, 1872, and took 124 prisoners, mostly women and children. Mow-way moved his beleaguered camp near the agency and remained until the release of these captives the following spring. There followed a short period of peace, but at the outbreak of the Red River War in the summer of 1874, Mow-way and his band hid out at Palo Duro Canyon, where they again battled Mackenzie's Fourth United States Cavalry in late September. After retreating south into the Quitaque country, Mow-way and 200 followers received the delegation led by Sgt. John B. Charlton and Dr. Jacob Sturm and surrendered to Mackenzie at Fort Sill on April 28, 1875. On the reservation Mow-way was among the leading candidates for principal chief of the Comanches before the federal authorities selected Quanah for that position. In 1878 he abdicated his chieftainship and settled with his family on a farm south of Fort Sill. There he succumbed to pneumonia in 1886 and was buried in an unmarked grave at the foot of South Arbuckle Hill, three miles east of his homestead.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, H. Allen Anderson, "MOW-WAY," accessed March 28, 2020, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmoba.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.