MILLER, HENRY S., SR.
MILLER, HENRY S., SR. (1890–1968). Henry S. Miller, Sr., businessman and community leader, was born in Dallas, Texas, on February 24, 1890, the son of Sam and Sophie Miller. He attended Dallas public schools and helped his father, a Polish immigrant, in his grocery business. He began working in the wholesale department at Sanger Brothers in 1903 and remained there until 1914, when he moved to the Davidson Davis Real Estate Company. In 1918 he worked briefly for Flippen-Prather Realty Company. On June 9, 1913, he was married to Carmen Jablow in Dallas. They had two sons and a daughter. Miller began his civic activities during World War I, when real estate was selling slowly, by assisting in Liberty Loan campaigns and acting as general in the Red Cross drive. In January 1919 he began his own real estate firm in the Southland Life Insurance Building. His business grew, and in the 1930s his son Henry S. Miller, Jr., joined the firm and added an insurance company to it. During World War II Miller and his son Henry formed a partnership, and in 1960 they incorporated. The firm added a property-management division and divisions for office leasing, shopping-center leasing, and industrial leasing. Miller provided free real estate services to the Red Cross Chapter headquarters, the YMCA, and the Scottish Rite Hospital for Crippled Children, among others beneficiaries. Because of his generosity he was called "God's Real Estate Man." He belonged to a wide variety of civic organizations and was one of the founders of the Dallas Community Chest in 1953. He was chairman of the Dallas City Planning Commission, vice president of Goodwill Industries, and president of Temple Emanu-Elqv. In 1966 he was honored as a "Builder of Dallas." He was a Mason, a potentate of Hella Temple Shrine, and Jewish. He died on December 14, 1968, and was buried in the Temple Emanu-El Cemetery in Dallas.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Lisa C. Maxwell, "Miller, Henry S., Sr.," accessed May 01, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmi65.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles