MCANULTY, WILLIAM NOEL
MCANULTY, WILLIAM NOEL (1913–1980). William N. (Mac) McAnulty, economic geologist, was born on November 26, 1913, in Howe, Oklahoma. He attended public schools in Oklahoma and in 1938 received a B.S. in geology from the University of Oklahoma. In 1939 he married Waldene Slagle; they had two daughters and a son. From 1939 to 1942 McAnulty served on the Bureau of Economic Geology at the University of Texas at Austin where he supervised the paleontological-mineralogic survey of Texas. He was afterward a supervisor for Airesearch Manufacturing Company in Phoenix, Arizona. He matriculated at the University of Oklahoma in 1945 and received an M.S. in geology in 1948. He then accepted the position as head of the geology department at Sul Ross State College in Alpine, Texas. In 1953 he completed a Ph.D. in geology at the University of Texas and went to work for Dow Chemical Company, where he directed exploration for nonmetallic minerals, especially fluorite. By 1964 McAnulty had accepted the position as chairman of the department of geological science at the University of Texas at El Paso. Under his guidance the curriculum was expanded to include programs leading to master's and doctor's degrees. He resigned the chairmanship in 1973 but continued to teach and do research until his retirement as professor emeritus in 1979. McAnulty belonged to the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, the Geological Society of America, and the Society of Economic Geologists. He published numerous technical papers. Through his efforts the El Paso Geological Society was formed, and he served as its first president. He died on December 14, 1980.
William S. Strain, "William Noel McAnulty (1913–1980)," Bulletin of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists 65 (December 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Kris Ercums, "MCANULTY, WILLIAM NOEL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmcaz), accessed April 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.