MCCORMICK, JOHN (?–?). John McCormick was a partner of James Frazier and David Shelbyqqvs one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred families. He was at James B. (Brit) Baileyqv's residence on April 20, 1824, when Josiah H. Bell read to the assembled colonists the Constitution of 1824 and heard their oath of loyalty to the Mexican government. On July 24, 1824, the partners received title to a league of land on the west bank of the Brazos River two miles below San Felipe de Austin, now part of southeast Austin and northwest Fort Bend counties. The census of March 1826 listed McCormick as a farmer, a single man aged between twenty-five and forty. According to testimony presented before the ayuntamiento of San Felipe on December 14, 1830, however, he left Texas in 1824, so that his land was vacant and his title therefore void. A John McCormick whose character certificate was presented at Nacogdoches in 1835 declared that he had been a resident of the department since 1832.
Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Eugene C. Barker, ed., "Minutes of the Ayuntamiento of San Felipe de Austin, 1828–1832," 12 parts, Southwestern Historical Quarterly 21–24 (January 1918-October 1920). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."MCCORMICK, JOHN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmc28), accessed July 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.