- Get Involved
MAVERICK, LUCY MADISON
MAVERICK, LUCY MADISON (1883–1967). Lucy Madison Maverick, artist and conservationist, the daughter of George Madison and Mary Elizabeth (Vance) Maverick,qqv was born in St. Louis, Missouri, on January 5, 1883. She was the fourth of six children, including Mary Rowena Green. She graduated from Main Avenue High School, San Antonio, attended Smith College, and studied creative writing, and about 1910 attended the Chicago Academy of Art to study illustration. In 1914 she studied and painted in Provincetown, Massachusetts, with a group of artists including Charles W. Hawthorn, Bord Norfeldt, Arthur W. Dow, and sculptor William Zorach. About this time she also taught at Stelton School, Stelton, New Jersey. In the early 1920s she traveled a great deal in Mexico, where she knew Diego Rivera and other Mexican muralists. She became an expert collector of Mexican arts and crafts and participated in early archeological excavations in northern Guatemala and Mexico. This was the foundation of her interest in pre-Columbian art and archeology. During the 1920s she won first prize in a batik contest sponsored by the Chicago Art Institute. In the 1930s she designed and supervised the construction of modern furniture, some of which was placed in the Majestic Building offices in San Antonio. Maverick's work included oil paintings, watercolors, block prints, large pencil drawings, oil-base crayon drawings, and sculpture. Her subjects include introspective views of her home, garden, and travels, with unusual angles of perspective. Her work done during her seventies and eighties evolved to oil-base crayon drawings based on pre-Columbian masks, animals, and figures, done in strong, pure color. In addition to her own work she supported and encouraged such younger artists as Octavio Medellin. Maverick exhibited in many art shows and in her later years had several solo shows in San Antonio.
She demonstrated for woman suffrage in Washington, D.C., with her sisters. She also restored a beautiful old stone house on Belvin Street in San Antonio, which served for the first meeting of the San Antonio Conservation Society in 1924. The house was later razed for an expressway, but she moved it stone by stone to Castroville, Texas. She was instrumental in saving and restoring 511 Villita Street, San Antonio, which became the headquarters of the San Antonio Conservation Society. With her sisters, she preserved the Maverick Ranch, in Boerne. She was a member of the board of directors of the Yanaguana Society and of several art groups in San Antonio. She was baptized in the Episcopal Church. She was a Democrat. She traveled throughout Europe and Mexico and lived at different times in Provincetown, Massachusetts, New York City, Castroville, and San Antonio. She died in San Antonio on July 16, 1967.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Frederick Charles Chabot, With the Makers of San Antonio (Yanaguana Society Publications 4, San Antonio, 1937). San Antonio Express, March 19, 1950. San Antonio Express Magazine, December 23, 1951. San Antonio Express News, February 9, 1949.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Anne Leslie Fenstermaker, "Maverick, Lucy Madison," accessed February 23, 2018, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmabj.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.