MASTERSON, THOMAS G.
MASTERSON, THOMAS G. (ca. 1813–1884). Thomas G. Masterson, attorney, businessman, and Brazoria County official, was born around 1813. He came to Texas in 1832 from Tennessee, where he had graduated from Nashville Law School, and bought land on the Brazos River near Velasco. He returned to Tennessee and married Christianie I. Roane in 1834. In 1838 the family moved to Texas and settled at Velasco, where Masterson dealt in real estate and was a partner of Edwin Waller in a mercantile business. Masterson held five separate mail contracts from March 1844 to April 1845, totalling 608 miles. By 1859 he had accumulated real estate valued at $9,000 and personal property valued at $3,500; other members of his household included Nancy Roane, aged sixty, born in Virginia, and Laura Masterson, aged thirty. In 1862 Masterson added 243 acres from the J. B. Cowan estate to his homestead. His second son, T. W., operated a sugar and cotton plantation on the property, which lay on the west bank of the Brazos River about a mile below Brazoria. Masterson owned another plantation, for which Masterson Station on the Columbia Tap Railroad was named, but did not live on it. This plantation was located west of the site of present Rosharon. Today the land is part of Ramsey Prison Farm (see PRISON SYSTEM). Masterson served as county clerk and chief justice of Brazoria County and was enrolling officer of the district during the Civil War. According to one source, he was a personal friend of Sam Houston. He was the father of six sons and two daughters. Masterson was a Mason. He died on the family plantation near Brazoria in 1884.
H. L. Bentley and Thomas Pilgrim, Texas Legal Directory for 1876–77 (Austin: Democratic Statesman Office, 1877). Nanetta Key Burkholder, The 1860 Census of Brazoria County (Brazosport, Texas: Brazosport Genealogical Society, 1978). James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975). Memorial and Genealogical Record of Southwest Texas (Chicago: Goodspeed, 1894; rpt., Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1978). Abner J. Strobel, The Old Plantations and Their Owners of Brazoria County (Houston, 1926; rev. ed., Houston: Bowman and Ross, 1930; rpt., Austin: Shelby, 1980).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Diana J. Kleiner, "MASTERSON, THOMAS G.," accessed July 10, 2020, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fma72.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on December 6, 2019. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.