LORD, GEORGE (1816–1895). George Lord, soldier and rancher, son of Fetsled and Anna (Siggs) Lord, was born in Saffron Waldon, Essex County, England, on April 21, 1816. His father, a brickmason, died in an accident while repairing a hot oven. His mother remarried, but died later in London. In June 1834 George Lord moved to Canada, and two years later he was in New Orleans, where he worked for several months on Mississippi steamers. On December 27, 1836, he joined a company of seventy-five volunteers under a Captain Lyons for service in Texas. They landed at Galveston in late January or early February 1837, and on February 14, 1837, were mustered into the Texas army at Camp Independence on the Lavaca River, in Capt. John J. Holliday's Company of the Second Regiment of Infantry Volunteers under Col. H. R. A. Wigginton. His company was consolidated with that of Capt. Samuel W. Jordan in June 1837 and was sent to San Antonio in October of that year, but he was discharged early in 1838. In March 1839 Lord fought with Col. Edward Burleson's company against Vicente Córdova near what is now Seguin. About September 1, 1839, with other Texans, he joined the Federalist forces under Gen. Antonio Canales Rosillo on the Nueces, and with Ewen Cameron, Henry A. Whalen (or Whaling), John R. Baker,qqv and Alfred A. Lee, all later of Mier fame, took part in the capture of Guerrero, the battle of the Alcantraqv, the siege of Matamoros, and the capture of Monterrey. During the second Canales campaign in northern Mexico, Lord took part in the capture of Laredo and in the battle near Saltillo when Jordan was double-crossed. In June 1842 Lord, then living at Victoria, joined Ewen Cameron's company near Corpus Christi and participated in the battle of Lipantitlán on July 7, 1842, "though," says F. G. Carnes of Yoakum, Texas, "during that battle he was engaged in scouting duties."
In September 1842 he rallied to the defense of San Antonio (see MEXICAN INVASIONS OF 1842); later he joined the Somervell expedition as a member of Captain Cameron's company. When opposite Guerrero, Mexico, on December 19, 1842, Alexander Somervell ordered a return of the expedition to the settled area of Texas. Six companies refused to do so, and under Col. William S. Fisher formed what came to be known as the Mier expedition, which continued operations against the Mexican frontier. George Lord went with the company under Capt. Ewen Cameron, fought in the battle of Mier, and was among those who were captured. The Texan prisoners later escaped at Hacienda Salado, Mexico, but were recaptured and forced to take part in what would later be known as the Black Bean Episode. Lord survived the bean drawing and continued as a prisoner of the Mexicans until released on September 16, 1844, when the last of the Mier men were released from Perote Prison and other Mexican prisons and permitted to leave Mexico. After his return to Texas, Lord fought in the Mexican War, and in 1849 went to California during the gold rush. On December 30, 1849, he married Miss Catherine Myers, who had been born in New Orleans on October 15, 1832. They had eleven children. After three years in California he returned to Texas with $7,000 in gold dust, which he arranged to have coined at the New Orleans mint.
George Lord received 1,280 acres of land from Texas for military service to the Republic of Texas. On this land, together with additional land that he purchased with his mining profits, he raised longhorn cattle under the "diamond-and-a-half" brand. He established a ranch at Cheapside in DeWitt County. During the Civil War he served two years in the Home Guard. In October 1870 he was living in Clinton, DeWitt County; and in 1894, the year before his death, he was living in Cuero. On April 21, 1893, George Lord attended a meeting of the Veterans of Texas at Turner Hall in Houston and after the banquet given to the Veterans in the Light Guard Armory, spoke on his experiences in the Mier expedition. Lord died February 23, 1895, and was buried at Cheapside.
It has been reported that in 1881 Lord wrote a brief account of his Mier expedition experiences and that the manuscript was discovered in Cuero in 1937 and was "published in full for the first time" in the September 1938 issue of Frontier Times. Actually the supposed Lord story had been published in 1883 by John J. Linn, Lord's neighbor, in his Reminiscences of Fifty Years in Texas. Apparently someone had copied Lord's so-called reminiscences from Thomas Jefferson Green's Journal of the Texian Expedition Against Mier (1845) and forged Lord's signature to them as being the story of his Mier expedition experiences. Thus the accounts that appeared in Linn's 1883 book and in the 1938 Frontier Times are both plagiarized from Green's 1845 book.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Joseph Milton Nance, "Lord, George," accessed August 24, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/flo21.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.