LEWIS, STEPHEN R.
LEWIS, STEPHEN R. (1920–1991). Stephen R. Lewis, plastic surgeon and professor, was born on August 26, 1920, in Mount Horeb, Wisconsin, the son of Russell F. and Gertrude (Leffler) Lewis. After graduating from high school in Marshfield, Wisconsin, he received a bachelor's degree in 1941 from Carroll College, Waukesha, Wisconsin, and a medical degree in 1944 from Marquette University School of Medicine in Milwaukee. After an internship at St. Mary's Hospital, Grand Rapids, Michigan, Lewis completed postgraduate surgical training with the United States Army at Wakeman General Hospital and Valley Forge General Hospital (1945–48) and at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (1948–50). He received certification from the American Board of Plastic Surgery in 1953.
For more than forty years he attended patients and taught at UTMB. He served as assistant dean of medicine from 1958 to 1962, chief of the Division of Plastic Surgery from 1961 to 1981, and director of postgraduate education from 1956 to 1978. The Truman G. Blocker, Jr. - Stephen R. Lewis Society, established in 1978 by former students, provided funds in 1984 to establish a Distinguished Professorship of Plastic Surgery at UTMB in Lewis's honor.
Lewis was president of the South Texas Chapter of the American College of Surgeons (1969–71) and a member of the board of governors of the American College of Surgeons (1975–77). During his sixth year as a member, he chaired the American Board of Plastic Surgery (1971–72). He served as president of the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons (1970–71) and the Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons (1965). He wrote more than 100 scientific papers in the field of reconstructive surgery and served as a member of the editorial board of the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons (1973–80). He was also a member and president of the board of trustees of the Galveston Independent School District (1954–62), vice president of the board of directors of the Galveston Girl Scouts (1953), and founding member of the board of directors of the Fifty Club of Galveston (1968–90), a service organization for the Galveston Police Department. In 1948 he married Audrey Morton; they had a son and a daughter. Lewis died in Galveston on February 16, 1991.
Galveston Daily News, February 17, 1991.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chester R. Burns, "LEWIS, STEPHEN R.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/flekp), accessed February 08, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles