- Annual Meeting
- Get Involved
LAWRENCE, ADAM (ca. 1799–1878). Although Adam Lawrence's 1824 application for land in Stephen F. Austin's colony indicates that he was born in 1799, he stated in 1874 that he was born in Logan County, Kentucky, on October 24, 1802, and that he moved to Texas in 1820. During the 1820s and 1830s Ad Lawrence acquired a reputation as a hunter and Indian fighter. In 1831 he received a grant of one-fourth league in Austin's colony, adjacent to Simon Miller's grant on New Year and Cedar creeks in Washington County. This grant was augmented in 1838 by a grant of three-quarters of a league, which he eventually located in Madison and Trinity counties. He married Sarah Lucinda Miller sometime between 1831 and 1836. In 1838 he settled in southeastern Williamson County at a place later known as Lawrence Chapel, where he became a prosperous rancher and farmer. There he built a log church for use by circuit preachers and by the schoolteacher he hired for the community. Lawrence served with William Barret Travis's scouting company as the Texas army converged on San Antonio in the fall of 1835. He was a private in Henry Reed's company, Army of the Republic of Texas, from June 4 to September 4, 1836, and in 1848 he received a bounty grant of 320 acres in Calhoun County for these services. Disappointed at the failure of the Confederacy and disturbed by increasing population, he moved to California in 1866 and ranched on the San Gabriel River there. He returned to Texas in 1873 and died on October 2, 1878, at Lawrence Chapel.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Audited Military Claims, Republic of Texas, Texas State Archives, Austin. J. H. Kuykendall, "Reminiscences of Early Texans," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 6–7 (January, April, July 1903). John P. Landers, "Adam Lawrence of New Years Creek," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 68 (July 1964). Original Land Grant Collection, Texas General Land Office, Austin. Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, "LAWRENCE, ADAM," accessed July 19, 2018, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fla54.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.