KENNARD, JOHN R.
KENNARD, JOHN R. (1826–1894). John R. Kennard, Confederate officer, was born in Alabama in 1826, the son of Anthony Drew and Sarah Sallie (Moore) Kennard. In 1832 Kennard came with his family to Texas and settled in Grimes County. Both his father and older brothers volunteered for service during the Texas Revolution in 1836. When the Civil War began, Kennard raised a company of infantry, known as "Grimes Boys," for service in the Confederacy. This unit was incorporated, as Company A, into the Tenth Texas Infantry Regiment, with Kennard elected captain, at Galveston on October 21, 1861. With this unit, Kennard saw action in Arkansas and Louisiana. He was captured, along with his regiment, at the battle of Arkansas Post on January 11, 1863. He was imprisoned at Camp Chase, Ohio, and Fort Delaware, Delaware, before being exchanged on April 29, 1863. Kennard received promotion to major on May 4, 1863, and returned to service when the unit was reorganized in Tennessee. On November 28, 1864, Kennard resigned his commission for medical reasons and returned to Grimes County. Kennard died in October 1894 and was buried in Grimes County.
E. L. Blair, Early History of Grimes County (Austin, 1930). Journal of the Congress of the Confederate States of America, 1861–1865, Volume 4, SATURDAY, May 14, 1864 (http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/hlaw:@field(DOCID+@lit(cc00414))), accessed June 13, 2006. Memorial and Genealogical Record of Southwest Texas (Chicago: Goodspeed, 1894; rpt., Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1978). Wartime Letter of Capt. Jonathan R. Kennard, Commanding, Co. A, 10th Texas Infantry, contributed by: Marcus Mallard (http://www.armoryguards.org/10thtexas/letters/kennard.htm), accessed March 17, 2011.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Aragorn Storm Miller, "KENNARD, JOHN R. ," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fke84), accessed September 05, 2015. Uploaded on April 6, 2011. Modified on April 15, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.