JOHNSON, GEORGE [BUD]
JOHNSON, GEORGE [BUD] (1934–2010). George “Bud” Johnson, journalist and activist, known as the “Old African Warrior,” was born in Houston on January 7, 1934, to Sam and Winnie Johnson. He acquired his early education in the public schools of Houston and attended Phyllis Wheatley High School before transferring to George Washington Carver High School in Aldine Independent School District, where he graduated in 1953. In that same year he enrolled at Texas Southern University and majored in journalism. Upon graduation from Texas Southern, he went to work as a janitor at a news affiliate at the Acres Home Reporter newspaper in order to be near reporters. A few years hence, Johnson got a job at the Houston Informer and then at the Houston Post. Beginning in 1960 he worked for the Houston Forward Times, a black weekly, where he became the sports editor. He was promoted to managing editor of the said paper and served in that role from 1986 to 1996. Johnson later moved to the African American News and Issues where he served as editor and columnist. He remained with that newspaper until he died.
Johnson devoted most of his fifty-six-year career in journalism to working in the African-American press, covering sports, writing commentaries, and serving as editor. Known as a race man, he commonly referred to himself as the “old African Warrior” and wrote columns which reflected such. Some of his popular columns were “Bud’s Eye View,” “This Bud for You,” And “It Was Like This.” Johnson died of cancer on June 18, 2010, and is buried in Paradise North in Houston. His wife Gloria had preceded him in death; he was survived by two sons.
Houston Chronicle, June 20, 25, 28, 2010. Houston Defender, June 28, 2010. Houston Press, December 5, 1996.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Merline Pitre, "JOHNSON, GEORGE [BUD] ," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fjoao), accessed April 26, 2015. Uploaded on May 15, 2013. Modified on May 24, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.