JORDAN, LEVI (1794?–1873). Levi Jordan, planter, was born in Georgia in 1792 or 1794 and moved to Brazoria County, Texas, with his wife, Sarah (Stone) Jordan, in 1848. Previously, he had owned adjoining plantations on the Louisiana-Arkansas border with his son-in-law, James Campbell McNeill, who married the Jordans' only daughter, Emily. Both families traveled to Texas in wagons with their slaves walking alongside. After killing a mountain lion at his first campsite, Jordan established a sugar and cotton plantation near the Four Forks area on the San Bernard River, west of the Fannin-Mims Plantation and not far from Brazoria. There he built a brick sugar-house, brick slave cabins, and what some historians consider the first sugar mill in Texas, with six-foot rollers. Between 1852 and 1858 Jordan made two sugar crops, and by 1860, according to the census, he had real property valued at $69,200, personal property valued at $130,740, and 134 slaves. In that year the plantation comprised 600 improved acres and produced 3,000 bushels of corn, 77 bales of cotton, and 193 hogsheads of sugar. In 1854 Jordan constructed a plantation house from yellow long-leaf pine lumber carried by ship from Florida, transferred to barges, and towed up the San Bernard River. Slaves hand-hewed the sills and studs of the house from local oaks and made bricks for the fireplaces. Part of the original house remains, owned by Jordan's descendents. Jordan also purchased one of two sugar plantations belonging to the Rowe family, west of Hinkle's Ferry on the San Bernard River, and left it to J. C. and C. P. McNeill, his grandsons. Jordan died on February 3, 1873, aboard the steamer George W. Thomas at Christmas Point.
Randolph B. Campbell, An Empire for Slavery: The Peculiar Institution in Texas, 1821–1865 (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 1989). James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975). Galveston Daily News, February 6, 1873. Abner J. Strobel, The Old Plantations and Their Owners of Brazoria County (Houston, 1926; rev. ed., Houston: Bowman and Ross, 1930; rpt., Austin: Shelby, 1980). Ralph A. Wooster, "Wealthy Texans, 1860," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 71 (October 1967).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Diana J. Kleiner, "Jordan, Levi," accessed April 30, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fjo92.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on October 24, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles