HUFF, GEORGE (1781–ca. 1850). George Huff, pioneer settler and tradesman, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, was born in 1781 in Woodville, Mississippi. He was persuaded by William Johnson to immigrate to Texas with a large party from Woodville and may have visited the colony before August 19, 1824, when he received title to 1½ leagues of land on the San Bernard River now in southwestern Fort Bend and southeastern Wharton counties. Shortly after February 1825 he settled his family on the headright. He had previously made a contract with James E. B. Austin to build a sawmill-gristmill and had sent his son Jacob to begin to improve his property. In July 1825 Huff sold a gin at the head of Buffalo Bayou to John Austinqv. The 1826 census listed him as a blacksmith and mechanic aged between forty and fifty. His household included his wife, three sons, two daughters, and four servants.
In 1830 the ayuntamiento at San Felipe appointed Huff a commissioner to report on the best road to Marion. The committee of vigilance at Lavaca wrote him and others in June 1832 concerning the Anahuac Disturbances. In 1833 and 1834 he and one of his sons (either Jacob or W. P.) had a business at San Felipe de Austin and sold candles, paper, and other supplies to their friend and attorney William B. Travis. In October 1835 Huff was in charge of provisions, arms, and ammunition sent to headquarters of the volunteer army at Gonzales and wrote to Austin asking for an escort of artillery. Gaspar Flores de Abregoqv, one-time land commissioner for the Austin colony, died at the Huff home on September 26, 1836. In February 1838 Huff advertised his plantation six miles east of San Felipe for rent. In 1840 he reported owning eight town lots, four slaves, one horse, and a gold watch. He died before 1850. His son W. P. served as county and district clerk in Fort Bend County for many years after the Civil War.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, "Huff, George," accessed May 04, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fhu10.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles