HOLMAN, WILLIAM W.
HOLMAN, WILLIAM W. (1806–1873). William Holman, early settler, soldier, and congressman, the son of Isaac and Anne (Wigglesworth) Holman, was born in Harrison County, Kentucky, on December 8, 1806. He was also known as Uncle Billy or Colonel Billy. In 1817 he moved with his family to Tennessee, where his father served as a member of the Tennessee Assembly in 1829–31. William and his brother James S. Holman arrived in San Augustine, Texas, from Fayetteville, Lincoln County, Tennessee, in the fall of October 1834. Their father and two other brothers arrived at the end of 1834, and their mother and three sisters arrived on March 21, 1835. William Holman was a member of the company of Capt. Bailey Anderson, Jr., in the siege of Bexar and served as quartermaster. He was in Capt. John M. Bradley's company from April 19 to July 23, 1836, but missed the battle of San Jacinto because he had been assigned to procure cattle for food. Holman represented San Augustine County in the First Congress of the Republic of Texas, after which time he held no public office. He married Eliza Yearger about 1848 and had a son, William W. Holman, Jr., born about 1849. His wife died before 1860, and his son died prior to July 22, 1876, when his estate was probated. William W. Holman, Sr., remained a resident of San Augustine until his death, on November 5, 1873.
George L. Crocket, Two Centuries in East Texas (Dallas: Southwest, 1932; facsimile reprod., 1962). Malcolm D. McLean, comp. and ed., Papers Concerning Robertson's Colony in Texas (19 vols., Arlington: University of Texas at Arlington Press, 1974–92). Texas House of Representatives, Biographical Directory of the Texan Conventions and Congresses, 1832–1845 (Austin: Book Exchange, 1941).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dixon W. Holman, "HOLMAN, WILLIAM W.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fho39), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.