HAYNIE, SAMUEL G.
HAYNIE, SAMUEL G. (1806–1877). Samuel Garner Haynie, physician and mayor of Austin, was born to Reverend John Haynie and Elizabeth Brooks in Knoxville, Tennessee, on April 23, 1806. The family relocated to Tuscumbia, Alabama, where they lived for nearly twenty years before settling in Independence, Washington County, Texas, in 1837. By 1839, Samuel volunteered to suppress the Córdova Rebellion, and settled in Austin, where he practiced medicine. He was a close friend and personal physician of Samuel Houston. His father served as the first Chaplain of the State Legislature of Texas following annexation to the United States. Haynie married Hannah Maria Evans on February 7, 1841. They had three sons and five daughters that lived to adulthood. Haynie was an Odd Fellow and Free Mason. Samuel Haynie represented Travis County in the Republic of Texas Fifth Congress, 1840–42, and in the Second Legislature, 1847. He owned the Austin Drug Store and served as postmaster of Austin from August 15, 1846, to March 14, 1852. He became director of the Sons of Temperance in 1850, and was elected mayor of Austin in 1850 and 1851. Abner Cook designed Haynie an impressive two-story home west of the Capitol that became known as the Haynie-Cook House, and designated with a historical marker in 2010. In 1852, he resigned as mayor, and purchased Baker and Townsend Drug Store before establishing a large mercantile firm, Samuel G. Haynie & Co. with his brother. Haynie was one of two commissioners in charge of the erection of the new Capitol building in 1855. He opposed secession in 1859, and worked as superintendent of the Austin Blind Institute in 1861. The people of Austin elected him mayor again in 1863 and 1864. In 1867 he owned and operated the Avenue Hotel, served as superintendent of the addition to St. David's Episcopal Church in 1870. He graduated from the Medical Department of Soule University at Galveston in 1871, and practiced medicine until his death, on May 20, 1877. Haynie is buried at the Oakwood Cemetery in Travis County.
Austin Daily Democratic Statesman, May 22, 1877. Pat Ireland Nixon, The Medical Story of Early Texas, 1528–1853 (Lancaster, Pennsylvania: Lupe Memorial Fund, 1946). Texas House of Representatives, Biographical Directory of the Texan Conventions and Congresses, 1832–1845 (Austin: Book Exchange, 1941). L. Haynie Rossman, A Haynie Genealogy, Their 1650 Virginia Roots, 1839 Texas Trunk, Nine Limbs, Many Branches, Twigs and Some Leaves (Fredericksburg: Radio Post, 1963). Kenneth Hafertepe, Abner Cook: Master Builder on the Texas Frontier (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1992).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Anonymous, rev. by Brett J. Derbes, "Haynie, Samuel G.," accessed September 27, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fhabp.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on January 11, 2016. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.