- Annual Meeting
- Get Involved
HARPER, HENRY WINSTON
HARPER, HENRY WINSTON (1859–1943). Henry Winston Harper, chemist and pharmacy professor, son of James William and Virginia (Crenshaw) Harper, was born in Boonville, Missouri, on September 20, 1859. He attended Mound City College there and worked for five years in a local pharmacy. He received a degree in pharmacy from Philadelphia College in 1881. From 1881 to 1884 he was a manufacturing chemist, druggist, and perfumer at Clarksville, Red River County, Texas, and Fort Worth, and from 1884 to 1886 was chemist and metallurgist for mining companies in Mexico. He received his M.D. degree from the University of Virginia in 1892, after which he did graduate work in London, Paris, and Wiesbaden.
Harper became adjunct professor of chemistry at the University of Texas in 1894. He became full professor in 1903 and served as dean of the graduate school from 1913 to 1936. His fifty-year career in chemistry and pharmacy covered handling of raw materials through manufacture into finished products. He probably manufactured the first perfumes ever made from Texas flowers. He bought Virginia snakeroot from the Choctaw Indians and shipped it to pharmaceutical manufacturers in northern and eastern states. He analyzed artesian water supplies; worked on the distillation of bituminous coal and the hydrolysis of sawdust bromides and iodides from Texas wells; and studied the chemistry of cedar pollen, the use of barium extracted from barite, and the candelilla plant. He expanded and perfected a patent covering dyes extracted from pecan shells and the utilization of pecan meats. His chemical investigations for the Texas legislature were used in solving crimes.
Harper was a member of the Chemical Society of London, the Texas Academy of Scienceqv, the American Chemical Society, Phi Beta Kappa, and the American Association of University Professors. He was a Methodist and a Democrat. In 1940 he was elected life member emeritus of the Association for the Advancement of Science. He married Susan Randolph West of Westland, Virginia, on July 9, 1895; they had two children. He died in Austin on August 28, 1943, and was buried in Oakwood Cemetery.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Austin American, August 29, 1943. Carl John Eckhardt, One Hundred Faithful to the University of Texas at Austin (197-?). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, "HARPER, HENRY WINSTON," accessed November 21, 2018, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fha76.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.