GRAVES, TERRANCE COLLINSON
GRAVES, TERRANCE COLLINSON (1945–1968). Terrance C. Graves, Medal of Honor recipient, was born at Corpus Christi, Texas, on July 6, 1945, son of Leslie C. and Marjorie Graves. He grew up in New York and graduated from Edmeston Central High School in Edmeston, N.Y., in 1963. He received a B.A. degree from Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, in 1967. He was a battalion commander of his NROTC Unit at Miami University and was commissioned a marine corps second lieutenant upon graduation. He completed basic school at Quantico, Virginia, in November 1967 and arrived in Vietnam in December.
On February 16, 1968, he was assigned duties as platoon commander with the Third Force Reconnaissance Company, Third Reconnaissance Battalion, Third Marine Division, in Quang Tri Province, Vietnam. While on long-range reconnaissance patrol his platoon came under heavy small arms and automatic weapons fire. Lieutenant Graves requested air support and directed a heavy volume of artillery fire on the enemy positions. Calling for helicopter evacuation, he directed the extraction of part of his platoon while he remained behind to protect a wounded Marine. After he loaded the remainder of his platoon onto a second evacuation helicopter, he and all aboard were killed when it was struck by enemy fire and crashed. In addition to the Medal of Honor, Graves was awarded the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal, the Vietnamese Gallantry Cross with Silver Star, the Vietnam Service Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, and the Purple Heart. He was survived by his parents, a sister, and a brother.
Committee on Veterans' Affairs, United States Senate, Medal of Honor Recipients, 1863–1973 (Washington: GPO, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Art Leatherwood, "GRAVES, TERRANCE COLLINSON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fgrrq), accessed September 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.