- Annual Meeting
- Get Involved
GLASS, DOMINION ROBERT
GLASS, DOMINION ROBERT (1895–1968). Dominion Robert Glass, eighth president of Texas College, was born in Georgia on April 19, 1895. Glass graduated from Atlanta University in 1917 with an A.B. degree. He attended graduate school at Harvard University and earned an L.L. D. degree from Miles College in Birmingham, Alabama, in 1946.
Until Glass gained his position at Texas College, his career was filled with brief stints at a variety of different educational institutions. He began as principal at Jackson High School in Georgia in 1917. That same year, he began teaching sociology and economics at Paine College in Augusta, Georgia. He worked there from 1917 to 1918. He became dean of Paine College in 1918, and in 1919 he became president of Arkansas-Haygood College in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. After working in Arkansas, Glass came to Texas to become registrar of Prairie View State Normal and Industrial College (now Prairie View A&M University). He worked at Prairie View from 1928 to 1931.
Glass found his professional niche in 1931when he became president of Texas College, a Tyler school affiliated with the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. He remained at Texas College for thirty years and was responsible for many accomplishments and advancements that the school made. Under his direction, Texas College became accredited by the Texas Education Agency as a Standard Senior College and was given an “A” rating by the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. The college also gained membership in the Association of American Colleges, the Association of Church-Related Colleges, the American Council on Education, the National Association of Collegiate Deans and Registrars, the United Negro College Fund, Inc., the National Institute of Science, and the Association of Texas Colleges. During Glass’s tenure, the school’s enrollment grew from 233 students to 2,274 and settled its outstanding debts that were present before his arrival. The number of faculty members increased from ten members to 100. Thirty-five new buildings were built; the school’s income tripled, and a special program was implemented for veterans.
On August 27, 1936, Glass married Willie Lee Campbell, an accomplished educator in her own right, who began teaching etiquette and table manners to students within the couple’s home. Mrs. Glass became head of the homemaking department at Texas College as well as a “homemaking education consultant for the Texas Education Agency.”
In 1961 Dominion Glass retired from Texas College. He died seven years later on October 8, 1968. He is buried in Evergreen Memorial Park Cemetery in Tyler. The library at Texas College was named after him.
“Dominion R. Glass (1895–1968),” Find A Grave Memorial (http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=69744069), accessed April 29, 2012. “In Memory of Willie Lee Campbell Glass,” Senate Resolution No. 890, May 7, 1999, 76th Legislative Session (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/76R/billtext/html/SR00890F.htm), accessed October 16, 2012. Vertical File, D.R. Glass Library, Texas College, Tyler.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Camille Davis, "GLASS, DOMINION ROBERT ," accessed June 21, 2018, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fgaav.
Uploaded on January 31, 2013. Modified on May 21, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.