- Annual Meeting
- Get Involved
GAGE, DAVID AARON
GAGE, DAVID AARON (1796–1854). David Aaron Gage, veteran, early settler, and legislator, was born to Daniel Gage and Abigail Burleson in Warren County, Kentucky, on August 2, 1796. The Gage family relocated to White County, Tennessee, by 1800. During the War of 1812 he enlisted as a private in Capt. L. Bradford’s Company of the Twenty-Fourth United States Infantry on July 10, 1814. His regiment consolidated into the Seventh United States Infantry and he was promoted to corporal in Capt. Thomas Blackstone’s Company before being discharged on July 9, 1819, at Fort Scott in Decatur County, Georgia. He married Elizabeth Austin in Madison County, Alabama, on February 28, 1820, and the family expanded to include one son. The cause of the dissolution of his first marriage is unknown, but he married Lucy Fish in Alabama by 1833. Gage was elected constable of Turkey Town in St. Clair County, Alabama, on January 13, 1833. Gage owned five farms in DeKalb County, Alabama, and lived on property along Little Wills Creek. On September 29, 1836, the United States paid Gage $3,843.54 for land in northeast Alabama as a result of relocating Native Americans to Indian Territory, Oklahoma. The family relocated to Arkansas, where a second daughter was born in 1838. Gage moved to Texas in 1839, where the family expanded to include two more daughters and three more sons. On May 21, 1839, he purchased a fourth of the Leonard Williams league and settled in the Williams Settlement in southern Rusk County, near Mount Enterprise. A few months later he organized and was made captain of a company of minutemen for protection against the Indians. He served with the company during 1840 and 1841. Gage was elected representative to the Eighth and Ninth congresses of the republic, December 4, 1843, to June 28, 1845, and in 1845 was elected senator for the Fourth District and delegate to the Convention of 1845. He was among sixty-one men who signed the Ordinance of Annexation approved by the Texas Convention on July 4, 1845. Gage operated a post office at an establishment known as “Gage’s” near Mount Enterprise and was appointed postmaster on February 5, 1847, but later sold the property to Charles and Edward Vinzent. After annexation he served three terms in the Texas legislature. He died on April 26, 1854, at his home near Minden and was buried at the Gage Family Cemetery.
Arkansas Gazette, July 19, 1836. Austin Texas State Gazette, April 15, 1854. Clarksville Standard, April 22, 1854. John S. Ford, Memoirs (MS, John Salmon Ford Papers, Barker Texas History Center, University of Texas at Austin). Texas House of Representatives, Biographical Directory of the Texan Conventions and Congresses, 1832-1845 (Austin: Book Exchange, 1941). Texas Legislative Council, Members of the Texas Legislature, 1846-1980 (Austin, 1980?). Record of Appointment of Postmasters, 1832-1971, Record Group 28. Records of the United States Army Adjutant General’s Office, 1780–1917, Record Group 94.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Robert Bruce Blake, rev. by Brett J. Derbes, "GAGE, DAVID AARON," accessed June 18, 2018, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fga01.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on August 30, 2017. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.