- Get Involved
FRANKLIN, IONE RUTH
FRANKLIN, IONE RUTH (1893–1985). Ione Ruth Franklin, sculptor and teacher, was born in Poetry, Texas, on January 16, 1893, the eldest of three daughters of Nathaniel Timothy and Bertha Melora (Smith) Franklin. She exhibited artistic ability from an early age. After graduating from high school in San Angelo in 1912, she attended Texas State College for Women (later Texas Woman's University) in Denton, where she earned a bachelor of science degree with honors in household arts and sciences in 1923. She subsequently received a bachelor of science in fine and applied arts with honors from the same institution in 1926 and completed a master of arts degree at Columbia University in 1927. In the late 1930s she attended the Art Students' League in New York City, where she studied with Robert Laurent and William Zorach. Under the influence of the latter, Franklin adopted direct carving, a reaction against more complicated traditional techniques such as casting. She completed a year of private instruction with William Palmer before returning to Texas in 1939.
From 1928 to 1955 Ione Franklin taught art at East Texas State Teachers College (later East Texas State University) in Commerce, where she was chairman of the art department from 1936 until her retirement. She participated in a number of competitive exhibitions and won prizes in Texas General exhibitions (1941, 1945) and Southern States Art League exhibitions (1936, 1946). The marble Young Mother (1944), in which Franklin deftly evoked the tender relationship between a mother and the chunky infant cradled on her shoulder, typifies her sensitive approach to sculpture; the work is now in the collection of Marcelle and David Orman. Franklin exhibited her work at the Dallas Museum of Art, the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston, the Witte Museum in San Antonio, the University of Texas at Austin, the Rockhill-Nelson Gallery in Kansas City, the University of Georgia in Athens, and the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, Georgia. She was a member of the Southern States Art League and the Texas Sculptors Group. Franklin has been associated with such artists as Dorothy Austin, Evaline Sellors, Mabel Fairfax Karl, and Bess Bigham Hubbard, a group of women who popularized modern sculpture styles and techniques in Texas in the 1930s and 1940s.
Franklin retired from teaching in 1955 and returned to San Antonio to care for an aged aunt. Although she joined the River Art Group and exhibited with them and the San Antonio Art League, her nursing duties left her little time for sculpting. She became an accomplished embroiderer in later years. She died in San Antonio on January 11, 1985, and was buried in Mission Park Cemetery. Her work was included in A Century of Sculpture in Texas, 1889–1989 (1989), an exhibition organized by the Archer M. Huntington Art Galleryqv in Austin that traveled to several museums throughout the state.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Peter Haskins Falk, ed., Who Was Who in American Art (Madison, Connecticut: Sound View, 1985). Jerry Bywaters Collection on the Art of the Southwest, Southern Methodist University.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Kendall Curlee, "FRANKLIN, IONE RUTH," accessed May 19, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ffr43.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.