- Get Involved
FLEESON, ISAAC NEVILLE
FLEESON, ISAAC NEVILLE (1815–1848). Isaac Neville Fleeson, journalist, was born in 1815 at Woodville, Mississippi, and learned the printer's trade at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. He worked on various newspapers until April 1842, when he joined Capt. Jack R. Everett's Company B of the Mobile Greysqv for six months' service on the Texas frontier. Fleeson was elected second corporal of the company, and his brother W. B. was elected fourth corporal. Fleeson was discharged on October 2, 1842.
From January 1 until April 2, 1846, he was associated with the Corpus Christi Gazette, a newspaper founded by Samuel Bangs to promote the interests of the United States army in the area. When Maj. Gen. Zachary Taylor moved his troops into Mexico after the battles of Palo Alto and Resaca de la Palma,qqv Fleeson accompanied the army to Matamoros, where, on June 1, 1846, in partnership with Hugh McLeod and William G. Dryden,qqv he began publication of the Republic of the Rio Grande, a semiweekly bilingual newspaper that strongly advocated the separation of the states of northern Mexico from the mother country. The paper's outspoken editorial policy led to its demise, and when McLeod and then Dryden dropped out of the project, Fleeson reorganized the paper as the American Flag. John H. Peoples and later John R. Palmer, printers who had come to Mexico with a Louisiana infantry company that mustered out at Matamoros, became his partners. The Flag, one of the longest running and most important of the war papers, continued under Fleeson and Palmer until the end of the Mexican War.
Fleeson died of tuberculosis on July 26, 1848, and was buried at Fort Brownqv. The Flag was removed to Brownsville on October 9, 1848, and in 1849 was purchased by Edwin B. Scarborough, who ran it for ten years. In 1850 Scarborough incurred much official displeasure when he used the Flag to advocate a separate territorial government for the so-called "Nueces Strip" between the Nueces River and the Rio Grande. See also REPUBLIC OF THE RIO GRANDE.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Frederick Charles Chabot, Texas Expeditions of 1842 (San Antonio: Artes Gráficas, 1942). Joseph Milton Nance, Attack and Counterattack: The Texas-Mexican Frontier, 1842 (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1964). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983). Justin H. Smith, "La República de Río Grande," American Historical Review 25 (July 1920). Lota M. Spell, "Anglo-Saxon Press in Mexico, 1846–1848," American Historical Review 38 (October 1932).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, William E. Bard, "Fleeson, Isaac Neville," accessed March 24, 2018, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ffl07.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.