DOOM, RANDOLPH COLUMBUS
DOOM, RANDOLPH COLUMBUS (1811–1881). Randolph C. Doom, judge, politician, and participant in the battle of San Jacinto, was born in Caldwell County, Kentucky, on January 7, 1811, and arrived in Texas on May 18, 1836. He served as a volunteer in Capt. Henry Hubbe's company, Gen. Thomas J. Green's division, of the Army of the Republic of Texas. Doom, a violinist, may have been the musician whose tune accompanied the Texan charge at San Jacinto. He represented Jasper County in the Eighth Congress (1843–44) as a member of the House of Representatives. By 1846, when Texas became a state, he and his wife had extensive landholdings and owned four slaves. Doom, an attorney, was elected chief justice of Jasper County in 1850 and held that office for a year. In 1851 he was in Austin as a Jasper County representative at a railroad planning convention. He was a state representative from the district composed of Jasper, Sabine, and Newton counties in the Fourth Legislature, 1851–53. He also served in the Texas House of Representatives in the Seventh Legislature, 1857–58. The 1860 census listed him as a merchant with four slaves and more than $50,000 in personal property. After the Civil War he resumed his law practice and in 1866 was elected state representative. Finally, he served as county judge of Jasper County from 1876 to 1880. Doom was married twice. The name of his first wife, by whom he had three daughters, is unknown. In 1847 he married Alta Zera Williams Everitt, widow of Stephen Hendrickson Everitt. Three children were born to this marriage. Doom died on December 5, 1881.
Texas House of Representatives, Biographical Directory of the Texan Conventions and Congresses, 1832–1845 (Austin: Book Exchange, 1941). Election Register, Texas State Archives, Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Glenn Justice, "DOOM, RANDOLPH COLUMBUS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fdo18), accessed April 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.