DICKINSON, JOHN (?–?). John Dickinson, early Harris County settler and member of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, received title to a sitio of land now in Galveston and Harris counties on August 19, 1824, and in that year paid twenty pesos for a strip of land a mile wide between League City and Galveston Bay. In April 1825 he and John Sarver bought a league on the south side of Clear Creek from John K. Williams. In 1848 a John Dickinson testified as a witness at a trial to establish the rights of a free black in Harris County. The original colonist may be the John Dickinson who was a cotton factor and wholesale and retail merchant in Houston as late as 1853 and who accumulated a fortune of more than $100,000. According to some sources Dickinson's wife, whose maiden name was probably Andrews, toured England and Europe with at least three of her children after the Civil War, gave them French and dancing lessons, and visited her husband's relatives in Scotland, though she had to dip "into the principal" of her estate to do so.
Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Marguerite Johnston, Houston, The Unknown City, 1836–1946 (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1991). Louis Wiltz Kemp Papers, Texas State Archives, Austin. Andrew Forest Muir, "The Free Negro in Harris County, Texas," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 46 (January 1943). Andrew Forest Muir, "Railroads Come to Houston, 1857–1861," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 64 (July 1960). Telegraph and Texas Register, October 21, 1846. E. W. Winkler, ed., "Checklist of Texas Imprints, 1846–1876," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 47 (October 1943).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DICKINSON, JOHN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fdi07), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.