Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
sidebar menu icon


DEAVENPORT, MATTHEW WATSON (1828–1911). Matthew Watson Deavenport, businessman, banker, professor, and Confederate officer, was born in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee, on August 25, 1828. He was raised and educated in Lawrence County, Tennessee, and studied medicine at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire. On July 27, 1848, Deavenport married Louisa J. Evans in Lawrence, Tennessee. This couple had two sons and three daughters. After his marriage, Deavenport joined his father's mercantile business.

In 1852 Deavenport brought his family to Tarrant County, Texas, where he settled near Grapevine and worked as a miller. In the early 1850s he joined the Lonesome Dove Baptist Church in Grapevine, served as superintendent of the Sunday school, and maintained his membership there for the remainder of his life. On June 27, 1862, Deavenport enlisted in Company E of the Thirty-fourth Texas Cavalry Regiment as a captain at Camp Allston near Shreveport, Louisiana. He was promoted to major on October 15, 1862. On August 27, 1863, Deavenport resigned his commission due to an incapacitating heart condition and returned to Grapevine. He resumed milling through 1873, served on several councils, and also as mayor pro-tem. His first wife passed away during the 1870s, and by 1880 he was married to Larinia J. Deavenport. In 1878 Deavenport moved to Roanoke in Denton County. By 1900 he moved to Quanah, then Wellington, where he served as president of the Wellington State Bank until his death from pnuemonia in February 1911. He was buried at the I.O.O.F. Cemetery in Denton.


Civil War Veterans (, accessed March 9, 2011. Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Texas, National Archives and Records Service, Washington.

Aragorn Storm Miller


The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Aragorn Storm Miller, "DEAVENPORT, MATTHEW WATSON ," Handbook of Texas Online (, accessed November 25, 2015. Uploaded on March 30, 2011. Modified on April 5, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.