- Get Involved
DAWSON, HUBERT MCLEOD
DAWSON, HUBERT MCLEOD (1903–1995). Hubert McLeod Dawson, educator and civic leader, son of Emmett Beauregard and Sorintha Natalie (McLeod) Dawson, was born at Abbott, Hill County, Texas, April 24, 1903. He graduated from Abbott High School in 1918, but the school only had ten grades. Dawson went on to complete eleventh grade at Hillsboro High School and graduated in 1919. He earned his B.A. and M.S. from Baylor University in 1923 and 1956, respectively, and received an honorary LLD from the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor in 1965. In 1923 Dawson was the principal, a teacher, and a coach at Abbott High School. The following year he was a teacher and coach at Moody High School; in 1926 he left to serve as chairman of the modern language department at Meridian College. From 1927 to 1928 he was involved in graduate study at Southern Methodist University. In 1928 he was a language teacher at Temple High School and Temple Junior College as well as acting registrar at the college. In 1942 he entered the Air Corps, United States Army, as a private and was discharged as a captain. He served in the Military Intelligence Service for thirty-four months in the European theater of operations, in London, England; Paris, France; and Offenbach, Germany. Dawson returned to the United States and Temple Junior College as the associate dean and director of guidance in 1946; he became associate dean and registrar the following year. In 1953 he served as dean-registrar until he became president of the institution in 1959. He served in this capacity until 1973 when he retired and was made president emeritus. During Dawson's service to Temple Junior College, he was chiefly responsible for moving the college from four basement rooms in the old Temple High School to its own building on a thirty-two-acre campus in south Temple in 1957. Through his efforts this campus grew to include a total of 100 acres. He was largely instrumental in the separation of the college from the Temple public schools and the construction of nine modern buildings to house Temple Junior College. During his tenure of service the enrollment of the college increased from 82 to 1,250. Dawson belonged to numerous professional, civic, and social organizations. He was a life member of the Texas State Teachers Association. He served as president of the Texas Junior College Teachers Association and the Association of Texas Colleges and Universities. No other individual has served as president of both these organizations. Dawson also served as president of the Lone Star Chapter of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish, the Texas Junior College Speech Association, the Temple Public Schools Unit of the Texas State Teachers Association, and the Temple Kiwanis Club. He was a member of the First United Methodist Church of Temple, Texas, where he served as a member of the administrative board, the finance committee, and as teacher of an adult Sunday School class. He died in Temple on April 20, 1995, and was buried in Ridge Park Cemetery in Hillsboro, Texas.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Harry C. Farrell, Jr., "DAWSON, HUBERT MCLEOD," accessed June 17, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fda79.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.