CRUMP, WILLIAM DORSEY
CRUMP, WILLIAM DORSEY (1844–1940). William Dorsey Crump, town founder, county judge, farmer, and Confederate soldier, son of Robert Henry (1814–1899) and Sara Ann (Dorsey) Crump (1817–1883), was born in Louisville, Kentucky, on August 21, 1844. His father was a merchant in Louisville and also had a farm. Before his service in the Confederate Army, he attended the University of Kentucky.
Crump enlisted in the Third Kentucky Cavalry (later changed to the Seventh), Company C, in Taylor County, Kentucky, on September 10, 1862, under the command of John Hunt Morgan. He followed Morgan through the war and participated in Morgan’s Raid through Ohio and Indiana. He was captured on July 19, 1863, in Meigs County, Ohio, near Buffington Island. He was imprisoned at Camp Morton on July 23, 1863, near Indianapolis, Indiana, where he was listed as age eighteen and five feet eight inches tall, light complexion, brown hair, and gray eyes. In prison records, his residence is listed as Louisville and his occupation as farmer. He was transferred to Camp Douglas in Chicago and arrived there on August 22, 1863. Crump and a few others from Morgan’s regiment were transferred to Point Lookout, Maryland, prison camp on March 2, 1865. Crump was then exchanged at James River, Virginia, on March 10, 1865. He appeared on a list of patients at the Confederate Wayside Hospital in Farmville, Virginia, on March 15, 1865.
In 1874 William Crump moved to Texas and settled near the site of present Oak Cliff in Dallas County. Three years later married Mary R. King of Dallas. He and Mary had five children. In June 1890 Crump moved his family to the South Plains region, where he helped organize and build the town of Lubbock. Crump was a Mason and a member of the Disciples of Christ Church. He was elected county judge in 1898 and served two terms. With others, he set up the Ripley Townsite Company, which established the town of Shallowater. His wife Mary died February 12, 1926. Crump applied to the state of Texas for a Confederate pension in 1930. William Dorsey Crump died on January 18, 1940, and was buried in the City of Lubbock Cemetery.
Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Kentucky, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington. Seymour V. Connor, ed., Builders of the Southwest (Lubbock: Southwest Collection, Texas Technological College, 1959). W. D. Crump, Confederate Pension Application No. 47837, Lubbock County, Texas. Historical Data Systems, comp., U.S., Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles, 1861–1865 [database on-line], Provo, Utah, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2009. George Levy, To Die in Chicago: Confederate Prisoners at Camp Douglas, 1862-65 (Gretna, Louisiana: Pelican Publishing Company, 1999). U.S., Civil War Prisoner of War Records, 1861–1865, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington. Dwight G. Watkins and Elizabeth Watkins, Morgan’s Light Brigade: Brigadier John H. Morgan’s Old Cavalry Division (Utica, Kentucky: McDowell Publications, 2001).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Roy Sylvan Dunn, rev by Michael L. Ross, "CRUMP, WILLIAM DORSEY," accessed March 28, 2020, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fcr40.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on February 11, 2019. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.