CREUZBAUR, ROBERT (?–?). Robert Creuzbaur, surveyor and draftsman, was associated with the General Land Office of Texas as a mapmaker during the mid-1800s. He probably came to Texas in the mid-1840s. Two of his maps are of particular importance. In 1848 he was commissioned to compile topographic information for a map of Texas for Jacob de Cordova, a land promoter. Creuzbaur also made a map from notes compiled by John S. (Rip) Fordqv on his exploring expedition in 1849 showing the route from Austin to Paso del Norte. This map was published for emigrants, and it gave the distances from one water hole to another, as well as pertinent landmarks and detailed descriptions of the nature of the soil and terrain. This map is included in Creuzbaur's Guide to California and the Pacific Ocean (1849). Creuzbaur also drew up a map of Austin in 1853. Sometime during the 1850s he married the daughter of Eli Kirk of Austin. In 1861 he invented the Sea King, a type of gunboat designed to fight Yankee blockaders. A joint committee from both houses of the Texas legislature appropriated $500 to enable Creuzbaur to present his plans to Confederate authorities in Richmond. After the Civil War he moved north and settled in Brooklyn, New York, where he was still living in 1899. Copies of his maps are in the Barker Texas History Center, University of Texas at Austin, and at the General Land Office in Austin.
Austin History Center Files. Frank Brown, Annals of Travis County and the City of Austin (MS, Frank Brown Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin). Larry Jay Gage, "The Texas Road to Secession and War: John Marshall and the Texas State Gazette, 1860–1861," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 62 (October 1958). Kenneth F. Neighbours, "The Expedition of Major Robert S. Neighbors to El Paso in 1849," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 58 (July 1954).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CREUZBAUR, ROBERT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fcr17), accessed May 23, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.