- Annual Meeting
- Get Involved
CONNER, ARTHUR BENJAMIN
CONNER, ARTHUR BENJAMIN (1881–1971). Arthur Benjamin Conner, agronomist and developer of sorghum for use in Texas, son of Richard Benjamin and Jane Conner, was born in Rosebud, Texas, on October 20, 1881. He graduated from Texas A&M in 1904 with a B.S. in agriculture and worked as a scientific assistant for the United States Department of Agriculture at Chillicothe until 1911. During this time he tested hundreds of sorghum varieties and became responsible for distributing dwarf yellow milo, the principal sorghum grown in Texas for the next twenty-five years (see SORGHUM AND SORGHUM CULTURE). In 1911 Conner became vice director of the Texas Agricultural Experiment Station (see AGRICULTURAL EXPERIMENT STATION SYSTEM). He completed an M.S. at Texas A&M in 1923 and three years later became acting director of the station. In 1928 he became director, a post he held until 1944. In 1948 he received the first honorary doctor of agriculture degree awarded by Texas A&M University.
As station director, Conner wanted experiment stations to be like model farms. His scientific goals included prevention and cure of plant diseases and diseases of animals, adaptation or breeding of fruits and vegetables for Texas soils and climate, soil fertility and agricultural chemistry, and research on livestock feeds, forestry, cotton, and agricultural economic problems. He recognized and supported Harris P. Smith's development of the mechanical cotton stripper, Paul Mangelsdorf's studies of corn, and Ray E. Dickson's soil conservation research. The Soil Conservation Act of 1935 was written by Conner, Representative James Paul Buchanan, and Dickson, and supported in the United States House of Representatives by Marvin Jonesqv, chairman of the House Agricultural Committee. Under Conner's direction the Texas Agricultural Experiment Station expanded research to areas of diverse soil, climate, and agricultural conditions. He cooperated with the United States Department of Agriculture to establish the Southwestern Great Plains Research Center near Amarillo and entered into joint relations with John Tarleton College (now Tarleton State University) at Stephenville. In addition to research on sorghum, soil fertility, and conservation, he supported and helped make possible the introduction of the Chinese elm to Texas, the development of the sore-mouth vaccine, and the development of new varieties of cotton, corn, oats, and wheat, as well as work on controls for the cotton flea hopper.
Conner was a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Genetic Association, the American Society of Agronomy, and the Philosophical Society of Texas. He lived near Rosebud with his wife, Nettie. He was a Methodist. He died on August 4, 1971, and was survived by his wife and two sons. See also AGRICULTURE, CORN AND CORN CULTURE, COTTON AND COTTON CULTURE, WHEAT PRODUCTION.
Arthur B. Conner Papers, Texas A&M University Archives. Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Irvin M. May, Jr., "CONNER, ARTHUR BENJAMIN," accessed September 24, 2018, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fco92.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on October 28, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.