CLARKSON, WILEY G.
CLARKSON, WILEY G. (1885–1952). Wiley G. Clarkson, architect, was born in Corsicana, Texas, on November 28, 1885. After attending the University of Texas for two years, he studied engineering at the Chicago Armour Institute of Technology and architecture at the Art Institute of Chicago. He returned to Corsicana in 1908 and operated a practice there until 1912, when he moved to Fort Worth. From 1919 to 1921 he collaborated with A. W. Gaines. After Gaines's death in 1921 he resumed his solo practice.
During the 1920s and early 1930s Clarkson designed a wide variety of works in Fort Worth, including the Texas Christian University Library (1925–27), Trinity Episcopal Church (1925–27), Sanger Brothers Department Store (1925–27), the YMCA Building (1925–27), the Woolworth Building (1925–27), and the Methodist Harris Hospital (1930), as well as numerous residences in the Ryan Place and River Crest sections of the city. Clarkson's early buildings were characterized by historical revival styles: Neoclassicism, Gothic, and Italianate. During the late 1920s, however, he began to experiment with the new Moderne or Art Deco idiom, and over the course of the next decade he produced many of the city's best examples of that style, among them the Sinclair Building (1929), the Masonic Temple (1930), the Collins Art Company (1932), the United States Courthouse (1933, with associate architect Paul Philippe Cretqv), the Municipal Airport Administration Building (1936), North Side Senior High School (1937), W. C. Stripling Department Store (1937), Tarrant County Building and Loan Association (1938), and the City-County Hospital (1938–39). During World War IIqv Clarkson collaborated with the architectural firms of Joseph Roman Pelich, Preston M. Geren, Sr.,qqv and Joe Rady on projects for the United States Housing Authority and the United States Army Corps of Engineers, including Liberator Village, Fort Worth; McCloskey Army Hospital, Temple; and Harmon Army Hospital, Longview. He also collaborated with Herbert Bayer, Gordon Chadwick, and A. George King on the design for the Fort Worth Art Center (1953), now the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth.
Clarkson was a charter member of the Texas Society of Architects and was president in 1942–43. He was also a founding member of the Fort Worth chapter of the American Institute of Architects and served as its president in 1948. He died in Fort Worth on May 5, 1952.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Christopher Long, "Clarkson, Wiley G.," accessed May 01, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fclrg.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles