CLIFTON, JOHN M.
CLIFTON, JOHN M. (?–?). John M. Clifton, early settler and legislator, arrived in Texas in March 1836, bringing with him ninety-seven volunteers recruited from the area around Paducah, Kentucky. Clifton served as captain of the First Regiment from November 6, 1836, to December 5, 1837. His conditional certificate for land was issued in Shelby County in 1838, and his unconditional certificate was issued at Panola on July 5, 1841. The 1,280 acres of land were located in Harrison County and patented to him on December 13, 1848. He represented Harrison County in the House of Representatives of the Fourth Congress of the republic from November 11, 1839, until February 5, 1840.
Texas House of Representatives, Biographical Directory of the Texan Conventions and Congresses, 1832–1845 (Austin: Book Exchange, 1941).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "CLIFTON, JOHN M.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fcl29), accessed March 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.