- Get Involved
CAMPBELL, BENJAMIN (1858–1942). Benjamin Campbell, attorney and mayor of Houston, was born on July 27, 1858, in Maringo County, Alabama, to Dr. Farquhar and Gabriella (Singleton) Campbell. The family moved to Walker County, Texas, in 1859 where Campbell attended the public schools of Walker County. He studied law in the offices of Abercrombie & Randolph in Huntsville, Texas, and was admitted to the bar in 1882. In the following years he served as the county attorney for Walker County (1884–86) and the district attorney for the Twelfth Judicial District of Texas (1886–90). In 1890 he entered into a law partnership with Col. Thomas H. Ball in Huntsville, Texas.
On December 5, 1883, he married Ella Smither. Together they had six children: Benjamin, Farquhar, Ella (later married to Sewall Meyer), Robert, Wilbourn, and Sue (later married to Norman Pillot). They moved to Houston the same year they were married, and Campbell became a member of the law firm Hutcheson, Campbell & Sears with Joseph Chappell Hutcheson, Sr., and William Gray Sears. In 1910 he joined with Sewall Myer to form Campbell and Myer. In 1911 Sterling Myer joined them, and the firm became Campbell, Myer and Myer.
In 1913 Campbell was elected mayor of Houston. He served two terms, through the year 1917. His administration was recognized as progressive and signified the change from an antiquated city government to a modern one. One of Campbell’s first accomplishments was the construction of a sewage disposal plant, which freed the city from unhealthy conditions due to sewage being dumped into the bayous. Furthermore, his administration specified that drainage should be supplied before a street was paved. Several storm sewers were laid, numerous wood bridges and culverts replaced with concrete structures, and streets improved.
Campbell favored strong municipal support for the development of a city park system, and some of Houston’s earliest parks were established under his administration, including Houston’s most significant urban space, Hermann Park. Houston’s first civil service system was put into place during his administration, and an eight-hour work day for city employees was established. In 1913 Houston school children received free textbooks, five years before the state textbook law was enacted. To reduce the city’s floating debt to a third of its $1 million, Campbell inaugurated a profit-sharing plan between the city and the Houston Lighting and Power Company. The Campbell administration worked incessantly until the Houston Ship Channel was finally completed, and the first wharves and docks on the turning basin were built during his tenure as mayor.
After serving as mayor, Campbell went back to practicing law at Campbell, Myer, Myer, and Freeman (John H. Freeman joined the firm in 1916).
In his private life Campbell was an active member of the First Methodist Church and a member of the Scottish Rite, Arabia Temple, Knights Templar, the Shriners, and of the Holland Lodge No. 1 of Masons. He was a thirty-second-degree Mason.
Mayor Campbell had been retired for about four years when his health began to fail. He died at his home in Houston on March 19, 1942. Services were held in the Campbell residence at 2501 Crawford. He is interred in Glenwood Cemetery in Houston.
Barrie Scardino Bradley, Houston’s Hermann Park: A Century of Community (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 2014). Dorothy Knox Howe Houghton, Barrie Scardino Bradley, Katherine S. Howe, and Sadie Gwin Blackburn, Houston’s Forgotten Heritage: Landscapes, Houses, Interiors, 1824–1914 (Houston: Junior League of Houston, Rice University Press, 1991). Houston Chronicle, March 19, 20, 1942. Houston Post, March 20, 1942. Houston Press, March 19, 1942. William Henry Kellar, Enduring Legacy: The M.D. Anderson Foundation and the Texas Medical Center (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 2014). The New Encyclopedia of Texas (2 vols., Dallas: Texas Development Bureau, 1926).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Jo Collier, "CAMPBELL, BENJAMIN ," accessed February 16, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fcamp.
Uploaded on August 8, 2017. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.