CAMP, LITTLE BERRY [L.B.]
CAMP, LITTLE BERRY [L.B.] (1806–1880). Little Berry Camp, Texas legislator, was born in Georgia on March 4, 1806, according to the engraving on his tombstone. He was the son of William and Sara Elizabeth (Reeves) Camp. As a young man in Georgia, L. B. Camp served as the state representative for Randolph County where he supported the charter for the state's first railroad in 1834. He served in the Creek War and fought at the battles of Chickasawhatchee Swamp and Ichawaynochaway. L. B. Camp married Elizabeth Stephenson in 1832; the couple had six children before Elizabeth's death in the early 1840s.
In 1839 Camp and his family moved to Texas, settling in Gilead—later called Point Pleasant—in an area of Upshur County that would later be part of Gregg County. Camp was elected to the Fourth Texas Legislature from Upshur County in 1851. During his second term Camp married Nancy Phillips of Alabama; the couple had ten children, six of whom survived to adulthood. In 1856 the family moved to western Texas where L. B. Camp was elected to the Eighth Texas Legislature, this time from the Atascosa and Bexar district. In 1861 Camp served as a delegate to the Secession Convention, but he, along with James Webb Throckmorton, was one of only eight delegates to vote against secession. Little Berry Camp, reportedly a friend of Sam Houston, followed the governor's example and chose exile. In 1861 he moved from Atascosa to a farm near St. Mary's of Aransas in Refugio County. He remained a Unionist throughout the Civil War.
Having never taken an oath against the United States L. B. Camp was in a position to immediately regain his political influence following the war. He was elected representative from Refugio to the Twelfth Texas Legislature and served from 1870 to 1873. He was instrumental in having the county seat moved from the town of Refugio to his hometown of St. Mary's of Aransas, although the change did not last long. Camp was also a health officer for the county during the yellow fever scare of 1867–1868. He maintained a farm in San Patricio until his death on August 24, 1880. He was buried in Fairview Cemetery at Floresville in Wilson County.
Hobart Huson, Refugio: A Comprehensive History of Refugio County From Aboriginal Times to 1953 (2 vols., Woodsboro, Texas: Rooke Foundation, 1953, 1955). William DeRyee and R. E. Moore, The Texas Album of the Eighth Legislature, 1860 (Austin: Miner, Lambert, and Perry, 1860). Memorial and Genealogical Record of Southwest Texas (Chicago: Goodspeed, 1894; rpt., Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1978).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jennifer Eckel, "CAMP, LITTLE BERRY [L.B.]," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fcalb), accessed February 12, 2016. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on November 25, 2014. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles