BRAINARD, EDWARD HENRY
BRAINARD, EDWARD HENRY (1860–1942). Edward Henry Brainard, early Panhandle rancher, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Peter H. Brainard, was born on July 4, 1860, in Otis, Massachusetts, and moved with his parents to Sparrowbush, New York, in 1868. There he completed high school at the age of fifteen and did such various odd jobs as clerking in local stores and rafting on the Delaware River. In the spring of 1880 he went to Colorado to work for the Pollard and Piper cattle firm. He accompanied the Pollards to the Texas Panhandle and worked for a time on Robert Moody's PO Ranch. After a brief return trip to New York in the fall of 1882 Brainard went to work for Joseph Morgan's Triangle Ranch, northeast of the site of present Canadian. He always recalled Morgan's beneficence; when Morgan was fatally stricken with smallpox Brainard rode thirty-five miles to Mobeetie to get a doctor. After Henry W. Cresswell added the Triangle to his Bar CC range Brainard went to work for him, and in 1887 Cresswell promoted him to range foreman. The following year Brainard acquired a 480-acre tract on John's Creek in Roberts County. His parents and sister Mary, who later became the first schoolteacher in Canadian, moved from Sparrowbush to Canadian to be near him. Although he had begun purchasing land and cattle of his own, Brainard continued as foreman of the Bar CC until 1895. He afterwards made his home in Canadian, where he became involved in banking. In 1901 he married Kittie Belle Fullerton, daughter of a family of Dutch and Irish extraction from Sparrowbush. They had two children. Over the next several years Brainard took pride in his high-grade Hereford cattle, which bore his Lazy B brand. He served on the executive committee of the Texas Cattle Raisers Association (now the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association) and for eight years was a member of the Canadian City Commission. By 1940 the Brainard family had acquired 50,000 acres of ranchland. Brainard died on August 20, 1942, and was buried in the Canadian cemetery. Decades later the family continued to operate the Lazy B. The old Brainard home remained a landmark in Canadian.
Sallie B. Harris, Cowmen and Ladies: A History of Hemphill County (Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains, 1977). John M. Hendrix, "Ed Brainard: 60 Years a Cowman," Cattleman, July 1940. Lester Fields Sheffy, "Edward Henry Brainard," Panhandle-Plains Historical Review 19 (1946). F. Stanley [Stanley F. L. Crocchiola], Rodeo Town (Canadian, Texas) (Denver: World, 1953).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, H. Allen Anderson, "BRAINARD, EDWARD HENRY," accessed August 14, 2020, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbrcn.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on May 1, 2019. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.