- Annual Meeting
- Get Involved
BRYAN, JAMES PERRY, SR.
BRYAN, JAMES PERRY, SR. (1909–1975). James Perry Bryan, Sr., lawyer, historian, and collector, was born on January 11, 1909, in Bay City, Texas, the son of W. Joel and Cassie (Perry) Bryan. He graduated valedictorian of his class at Freeport High at the age of fifteen, graduated from the University of Texas at age twenty, and attended law school at the University of Texas. Admitted to the Texas bar at age twenty-two, he began his legal career with the firm of Masterson and Bryan in Angleton. In 1936 he was elected county attorney of Brazoria County and joined Dow Chemical in 1940. He served Dow as general counsel from 1942 to 1958 and was vice president of Brazos Oil and Gas Company from 1946 to 1958. Bryan also had extensive banking, business, and real estate interests in the Brazoria County area. He was chairman of the board and owner of the Lake Jackson State Bank, founder of Southern Materials, owner of Brazosport Seafood Company, founder of American Savings and Loan Association, and a participant in numerous oil and real estate ventures. His community service included participation on the school boards of Brazoria County and the Angleton Independent School District. During World War II he was a member of the Eighth Regional War Labor Board and was an organizer and first president of the Brazoria County War and Community Chest.
A descendant on the maternal side of Stephen F. Austin, Bryan displayed a lifelong interest in Texas history and made significant contributions as an author and collector to the field. He was a member of the Texas Philosophical Societyqv, served as president of the Texas State Historical Association, and was a member of the Sons of the Republic of Texas and the San Jacinto Museum of History Association. In 1957 he was appointed a regent of the University of Texas where he gave enormous support to Chancellor Harry H. Ransom while the latter built an internationally known library of rare books and materials for the Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center. Bryan was known as a discerning collector of Texana and amassed one of the most important collections of early Texas maps. His definitive assemblage of approximately 159 rare maps of Texas and the Southwest dating from 1513 was acquired by the University of Texas and served as a model for later collectors and historians writing in the field of cartography. His own publications include Texas in Maps (1961), a history of the state as illustrated by approximately twenty-three maps from his and other University of Texas collections; his edited edition of Mary Austin Holley: The Texas Diary, 1835–1838 (1965); and Gordon Reed: A Novel of the Real Texas Oil Industry (1968).
Bryan married Gretchen Smith on August 24, 1938; they had two sons. His second wife was Betty Bingham who survived him. J. P. Bryan, Sr., died in Houston on June 9, 1975, and was buried at Peach Point Plantation.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Joe Frantz, "Southwestern Collection," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 79 (October 1975). Houston Post, June 11, 1975.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, "BRYAN, JAMES PERRY, SR.," accessed November 21, 2018, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbrbt.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.