BOND, GEORGE D.
BOND, GEORGE D. (1860–1924). George D. Bond, radiologist, the son of Thomas B. and Ann (McLemore) Bond, was born at Spring Hill, Tennessee, in 1860. He completed his medical training at Vanderbilt University in Nashville in 1880, at a time when the faculty consisted of thirty-five professors. After practicing three years in Spring Hill, Bond moved his practice to Hillsboro, Texas. He served as the president of the Hill County Medical Society in 1905. In 1907 he moved to Fort Worth and established his practice in the Flat Iron Buildingqv. He specialized in X ray and electrotherapeutics and pioneered machines and techniques in the field of radiology. Bond continued his practice and joined the staff of the Fort Worth School of Medicine as a demonstrator under the chairman of obstetrics in 1911. He established the radiology departments at John Peter Smith Hospital and St. Joseph Hospital in Fort Worth. Eventually, he was joined in the practice by his son, Thomas B. Bond, who had begun his medical service by turning the crank of his father's static machine, a device used before the development of an effective generator or common electric current.
George Bond was an active member of the American Medical Association, the State Medical Association of Texas (now the Texas Medical Associationqv), and the Tarrant County Medical Society. Along with several other pioneer radiologists, he established the Texas Roentgen Association, later known as the Texas Radiological Society. He also served on the Cancer Committee of the Texas Medical Association. He published an article on cancer in the Texas State Medical Journal in 1916. Bond was also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. He was married to Lucy Guthrie. They had two children. Bond died in Fort Worth on December 6, 1924, and was buried in Hillsboro, Texas.
Fort Worth Star-Telegram, December 8, 1971. Buckley B. Paddock, History of Texas: Fort Worth and the Texas Northwest Edition (4 vols., Chicago: Lewis, 1922).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Kenneth E. Austin, "BOND, GEORGE D.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbo93), accessed February 12, 2016. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles