BEATTY, CHARLES ROAMBROSE
BEATTY, CHARLES ROAMBROSE (1828–1902). Charles Roambrose Beatty (aka Beaty), miller, farmer, and Confederate officer, was born October 22, 1828, in Muscogee County, Georgia. Beatty settled in Jasper County, Texas, in 1838. On February 5, 1852, he married Nancy Blewett, who was born in 1828 in Georgia. The couple gave birth to four sons and two daughters. Beatty's second son, John, born on January 28, 1855, achieved notoriety as a sheriff, lawyer, and Texas state senator, representing Jasper County. Throughout the 1850s, the Beatty family prospered. In 1860 Beatty owned a farm, sixteen slaves, and a sawmill with seven full-time employees.
After the onset of the Civil War, Beatty volunteered for service in the Confederacy and joined the Thirteenth Texas Cavalry as a major on March 1, 1862. He served with this unit during its assignments and campaigns in Louisiana and the lower Mississippi River region. On April 22, 1864, Beatty received promotion to lieutenant colonel. Beatty was in Texas with the Thirteenth Cavalry when it was surrendered on June 2, 1865. After the war, Beatty remained in Texas and settled in Travis County in 1876. By 1880 he had moved to Austin and was living on “rents.” Beatty died in Austin on October 30, 1902. He is buried in Live Oak Cemetery, Manchaca.
Descendants of William Blewett, Sr The First (http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/b/l/e/Michael-K-Blewett/GENE8-0046.html), accessed January 25, 2011. Neil John McArthur and H. G. Wickes, The Twenty-seventh Legislature and State Administration of Texas (Austin: Ben C. Jones & Co. Printers, 1901).Thomas Reid, The Spartan Band: Burnett's 13th Texas Cavalry in the Civil War (Denton: University of North Texas Press, 2005).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Aragorn Storm Miller and Bruce Allardice, "BEATTY, CHARLES ROAMBROSE ," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbebs), accessed August 03, 2015. Uploaded on February 25, 2011. Modified on July 7, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.