ANTHONY, DANIEL W.
ANTHONY, DANIEL W. (?–1833). Daniel W. Anthony, early Texas newspaperman, book publisher, and attorney, was possibly born in Kentucky. He arrived at the mouth of the Brazos River as a passenger aboard the schooner Sabine in late May or early June 1832, after a two-week voyage from New Orleans. On June 20, 1832, he joined the military organization then forming at Brazoria for the purpose of attacking Fort Velasco. He fought in the battle of Velasco aboard the schooner Brazoria as fourth sergeant.
Later that month he purchased from Godwin Brown Cotten the press on which Cotten had printed the Texas Gazette and Brazoria Commercial Advertiser. Anthony's initial publication was an extra edition of the paper, dated July 23, 1832, in which he reported the arrival on June 16 of a Mexican fleet at the mouth of the Brazos River carrying Col. José Antonio Mexía and Stephen F. Austin and described the subsequent festivities and speeches. "Documents and Publications, explanatory of the late commotions" at Anahuac and Velasco were carried in the extra (see ANAHUAC DISTURBANCES), as well as the announcement by Anthony that "The Press of the `Gazette,' having been transferred to the subscriber, will hereafter be conducted under the style of The Constitutional Advocate and Brazoria Advertiser." Possibly reflecting a business decision to bring his paper wider acceptance, he actually published it as the Constitutional Advocate and Texas Public Advertiser. Anthony used his press to print the Proceedings of the General Convention of Delegates Representing the Citizens and Inhabitants of Texas in December 1832. It was the second book published in Texas. (Cotten had published the first in 1829–30.)
In November 1832 Anthony received title to a quarter league of land on the San Bernard River in what is now Fort Bend County. In December he wrote Stephen F. Austin to request more land for himself and to remind Austin that Anthony's brothers Henry and Jacob also wanted land. He wrote the empresario again in 1833 on behalf of his brothers. Shortly before his death Anthony advertised himself in his paper as a lawyer. Alcalde Henry Smith hired him in July 1833 as curator for William Parks, who was accused of taking property from the home of John McCroskey.
Anthony died of cholera at the tavern of Henry Brown in Brazoria on August 10, 1833. Very likely his brothers died at the same establishment from the same illness. Letters of administration of Anthony's estate were granted to Dr. Thomas F. L. Parrott on August 16, 1833. A claim against the estate was made by the Browns, who sought payment for board and lodging for all three Anthony brothers. Administering the estate, including Anthony's press, took quite a while and involved a conflict between citizens of Brazoria and citizens of San Felipe. In San Felipe was filed, on September 11, 1833, a petition on behalf of Luke Lesassier, Francis W. Johnson, Samuel May Williams, Oliver Jones, and Stephen F. Austin to stay the sale of the press, type, and fixtures belonging to the estate. The same month in Brazoria Robert M. Williamson, acting for the San Felipeans, obtained an injunction against Parrott to keep him from selling the press and other property belonging to the estate. The press was eventually placed into operation by John A. Wharton and Oliver H. Allen, who began publishing the Brazoria Advocate of the People's Rights in November 1833. In the February 22, 1834, issue of this paper Wharton noted that there had been five claimants for Anthony's press. Cotten, who had worked for Anthony for several months, brought suit on February 19, 1834, to recover wages from the Anthony estate.
The name D. W. Anthony appears on a document drawn up at Harrisburg on June 4, 1835, which states that the signatories agree to meet again in Harrisburg on June 6 to elect officers and to proceed to Anahuac to attack the Mexican garrison commanded by Capt. Antonio Tenorio. Obviously this was not the D. W. Anthony who had published the newspaper in Brazoria.
Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Eugene C. Barker, "Notes on Early Texas Newspapers," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 21 (October 1917). Mary D. Boddie, Thunder on the Brazos: The Outbreak of the Texas Revolution at Fort Velasco, June 26, 1832 (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Museum, 1978). James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975). James M. Day, comp., Texas Almanac, 1857–1873: A Compendium of Texas History (Waco: Texian Press, 1967). Charles Adams Gulick, Jr., Harriet Smither, et al., eds., The Papers of Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar (6 vols., Austin: Texas State Library, 1920–27; rpt., Austin: Pemberton Press, 1968). An Inventory of the Colonial Archives of Texas: No. 3, the Municipality of Brazoria, 1832–1837 (San Antonio: Historical Records Survey, 1937). Marilyn M. Sibley, Lone Stars and State Gazettes: Texas Newspapers before the Civil War (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1983). Villamae Williams, Stephen F. Austin's Register of Families (Nacogdoches, Texas: Ericson, 1984).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Ronald Howard Livingston, "ANTHONY, DANIEL W.," accessed July 07, 2020, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fan29.
Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Modified on May 31, 2017. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.