- Get Involved
ANGIER, SAMUEL TUBBS
ANGIER, SAMUEL TUBBS (1792–1867). Samuel Tubbs Angier, physician and Old Three Hundred pioneer, was born in Pembroke, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, on August 26, 1792, the son of Samuel and Mary Tubbs. On February 29, 1812, he changed his name to Samuel Tubbs Angier, taking as his surname the maiden name of his paternal grandmother, Katurah (Angier) Tubbs. He received his A.B. degree in 1818 and his M.D. degree in 1823 from Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island. Angier had married and had a daughter before his second marriage on January 18, 1821, in Easton, Massachusetts, to Rowena Hayward. They also had a daughter.
Angier was a partner of Thomas W. Bradley and George B. Hall as one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists. The three men received title to a sitio of land on the west bank of Chocolate Bayou three leagues above its mouth on August 16, 1824; the land is now in Brazoria County. Additionally, Angier was granted a labor of land on the east bank of the Brazos four miles above its mouth on August 24, 1824. In a quiet ceremony at the home of James Briton (Brit) Bailey on April 30, 1829, he married Old Three Hundred colonist Mrs. Permelia Pickett, in a ceremony conducted by Alexander Hodge, comisario of the precinct of Victoria. Consequent to his marriage, Angier requested, and on December 10, 1830, received, two-thirds of a league of land "on the right margin of Chocolate Bayou within the littoral Belt, above and adjacent to the league conceded to the petitioner together with Bradley and Hall."
Angier was one of the four established physicians of Brazoria Municipality who early in the 1830s were appointed by the ayuntamiento as a standing committee to examine the qualifications of persons wishing to practice surgery and medicine in the municipality. David G. Burnet, one of the delegates from Liberty, stopped at the Chocolate Bayou home of Dr. Angier after becoming ill on his way to the Consultation. On February 1, 1836, Angier served as an election judge for Brazoria Municipality when delegates were chosen for the Constitutional Convention of 1836, to convene at Washington-on-the-Brazos.
On September 5, 1837, Permelia Angier died. In April of 1838 Angier, who gave his place of residence as Liverpool, was one of several signatories from across Texas of a memorial to the Congress of the Republic of Texas requesting the establishment of a system of public education. Angier married Mary Ann Augusta Kendall, the daughter of Horace and Mary (Cogswell) Kendall, in Monroe County, Alabama, on June 28, 1842. He was a Methodist and she a Presbyterian. Angier's return to Texas from New Orleans aboard the Neptune was reported on March 20, 1844, in the Houston Telegraph and Texas Register. The Columbia Planter of September 12, 1845, carried an advertisement for the Columbia Female Seminary, which was to open on the twenty-ninth, with Mrs. Angier as headmistress. Samuel and Mary Angier had a son in 1846. Mary died near West Columbia in 1854, and Angier married Mrs. Mary O'Brien Millard on May 25, 1857, in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in Galveston. Dr. Angier died in West Columbia on April 17, 1867. He is buried in the Columbia Cemetery in West Columbia.
Angier was one of the twenty Old Three Hundred settlers known to have been Freemasons. He was a charter member of St. John's Lodge Number 49 (later to become St. John's Lodge Number 5), organized in Columbia in 1848, and was selected grand master of the lodge on June 1, 1848. He served as lodge treasurer in 1849 and 1850 and was junior steward in 1858 and junior warden in 1861.
Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Virginia H. Taylor, The Spanish Archives of the General Land Office of Texas (Austin: Lone Star, 1955). Telegraph and Texas Register, October 4, 1837, August 11, 1838, March 20, 1844.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Ronald Howard Livingston, "ANGIER, SAMUEL TUBBS," accessed July 19, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fan28.
Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Modified on October 5, 2018. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.