ALSBURY, JAMES HARVEY
ALSBURY, JAMES HARVEY (?–?). James Harvey Alsbury was a partner of his brothers Horace A. and Charles Grundison Alsbury as one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists. On August 3, 1824, they received title to a sitio and a half of land that later became part of Brazoria County.
James Harvey has been confused with Hanson Alsbury, his brother, who was born in Virginia on October 18, 1801, came to Texas in 1824, lived temporarily at San Felipe, and later moved to the Trinity River area, where he spent some months in surveying and became a father in 1825. In 1826 his wife, Harriet Raymond (Plummer), became ill, and the family returned to Mississippi, where they remained until 1840; then they returned to Brazoria County. They moved to Galveston in 1842 and later to San Antonio.
Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."ALSBURY, JAMES HARVEY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fal47), accessed July 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Modified on July 30, 2012. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.