- Annual Meeting
- Get Involved
ALDREDGE, GEORGE NATHAN
ALDREDGE, GEORGE NATHAN (1846–1908). George Nathan Aldredge, attorney and judge, was born on April 14, 1846, in Dougherty County, Georgia, to Dr. J. F. and Mary (Oglesby) Aldredge. In 1856 the family moved from Marietta, Georgia, to Pittsburg, Texas. At the age of sixteen Aldredge enlisted as a private in the Confederate Army. He served two years in Company F, Clark's Texas Infantry Regiment, and transferred in January 1864 to Company F, Chisholm's Cavalry Regiment, Thomas Green's Brigade, in the Army of the Trans-Mississippi.
About two years after the war Aldredge graduated from McKenzie College, then studied law under Oran M. Roberts at Gilmer. In 1869 he was admitted to the bar in Tyler by the state Supreme Court. After practicing law for a year in Gilmer, then for two years in Waxahachie, Aldredge arrived in Dallas in 1873. Without opposition he was elected county attorney of Dallas County in 1875 and served until 1878, when he was elected judge of the Eleventh Judicial District, which was reorganized in 1883 as the Fourteenth District. Aldredge was judge until 1888, the year he retired and returned to private practice with A. T. Watts and J. J. Eckford. He was a director of the National Exchange Bank of Dallas. He ran for Congress as a Democrat but withdrew in protest against the party's support of free silver. A speech he gave to the American Bankers' Association in 1895 in Atlanta, Georgia, was widely quoted and read into the Congressional Record. In 1897 he gave the eulogy for Robert E. Lee at the unveiling of the Lee monument in Dallas.
Aldredge was a master Mason and a Knight of Pythias. From 1875 to 1877 he served as chairman of the Democratic committee of the Third Congressional District. In January 1881 he married Bettie Hearne, and they had five children, two of whom died very young. A son, Sawnie Robertson Aldredge, was mayor of Dallas from 1921 to 1923. In 1921 he purchased a house built by rancher William Lewis in 1915. The house is located in the Swiss Avenue Historic District in Dallas, which includes large homes in Tudor, Georgian Spanish Colonial, and Italianate styles. The Dallas County Medical Society Alliance Foundation (formerly the Women’s Auxiliary to the Dallas County Medical Society) began preservation efforts related to the Aldredge House in 1973 after Rena Aldredge donated the house to the foundation. Aldredge practiced law until ill health forced his retirement. He became ill when an old kidney ailment flared up on a train trip home from Colorado Springs and died at his home in Dallas on September 5, 1908, and was buried in Greenwood Cemetery.
Berry B. Cobb, A History of Dallas Lawyers, 1840 to 1890 (Bar Association of Dallas, 1934). Dallas Morning News, September 6, 1908. Dallas Daily Times Herald, September 5, 1908. William S. Speer and John H. Brown, eds., Encyclopedia of the New West (Marshall, Texas: United States Biographical Publishing, 1881; rpt., Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1978).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Joan Jenkins Perez, "ALDREDGE, GEORGE NATHAN," accessed January 16, 2019, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fal03.
Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Modified on April 5, 2018. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.