WICHITA VALLEY RAILROAD
WICHITA VALLEY RAILROAD. The Wichita Valley Railroad Company was chartered on October 12, 1905, to build from the western terminus of the Wichita Valley Railway at Seymour in Baylor County southwest to Stamford in Jones County, a distance of sixty miles. The capital was $200,000, and the corporate office was in Seymour. Members of the first board of directors included Frank Trumbull of Denver, Colorado; Morgan Jones of Baylor County; W. E. Kaufman and D. T. Bomar of Fort Worth; and Grenville M. Dodge, H. Walters, Benjamin F. Yoakum, and Edward Hawley, all of New York. The road was projected by Jones, Bomar, and their associates. Citizens in Haskell, Munday, Goree, and Wichita Falls donated $70,000 in cash and land worth $42,575 to the project, while the Colorado and Southern Railway Company and the Central Trust Company of New York advanced the balance of the construction funds. The first section of the railroad was placed in service on November 1, 1906, and completed in 1908. The Wichita Valley Railroad was leased by the Wichita Valley Railway Company on February 1, 1908, and its road, with the Abilene and Northern Railway, formed a through route from Wichita Falls to Abilene. The Wichita Valley Railroad was merged into the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway Company on June 13, 1952. Since May 16, 1994, the entire line from Wichita Falls to Abilene has been operated by the Southern Switching Company.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.George C. Werner, "WICHITA VALLEY RAILROAD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqw16), accessed July 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.