TAYLOR, BASTROP AND HOUSTON RAILWAY
TAYLOR, BASTROP AND HOUSTON RAILWAY. The Bastrop and Taylor Railway Company was chartered on April 26, 1886, to build from Bastrop to Taylor for a distance of thirty-two miles. The business office was in Bastrop. The line had a capital of $320,000. R. S. Walker served as the first president. Members of the first board of directors were M. H. McLaurin and Calvin Satterfield, both of Austin, and A. W. Moore, J. C. Buchanan, R. A. Green, and Chester Erhard, all of Bastrop. Construction of a line was shortly begun at Taylor, and the line was renamed Taylor, Bastrop and Houston Railway Company on October 27. Under the amended charter the railroad increased its capital to $2,920,000, and its board of directors comprised H. M. Hoxie, James A. Bakerqv, J. A. Hooper, G. W. Burkitt, J. Hervin, Chester Erhard, and W. H. Newman. The company was sold during construction to the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company, which completed the 89.75 miles from Taylor to Boggy Tank, near Houston, before the end of 1887, as well as a sixteen-mile branch between Lockhart and San Marcos. On November 18, 1891, the line became part of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company of Texas.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nancy Beck Young, "TAYLOR, BASTROP AND HOUSTON RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqt01), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.